We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WAZU the "zed" 7.524.222 Khz AM 13:29 UTC  (Read 2255 times)

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
WAZU the "zed" 7.524.222 Khz AM 13:29 UTC
« on: January 03, 2016, 1335 UTC »
i stumbled across this and thought it was just another SWBC but then figured there shouldnt be anything broadcasting in this part of the band during this time of the day though thats not always the case, then i heard the older male talking about "pussies" and noticed it was off frequency (clue 1) and didnt quite sound like a "regular" shortwave station to me  8)
its also not using the standard 10Khz modulation typically found on SWBC stations  :o (clue 2)
older male speaking about pirate radio and "pussies"  ;D
excellent sounding audio @ S6-7  ;)
13:35 UTC - drifted up 5Hz to 7.524.227
13:37 ID as "WAZU" the "zed" and gave email wazushortwave@gmail.com
13:38 UTC - mentioned hfunderground.com forum
13:43 UTC - signal jumped from S6 to S+9 after he said "give it a little zed" as if he turned on an amplifier  :o
13:57 UTC - "fearless fred" as the DJ - funny skit commercials
14:00 UTC - signed off
thanks for the great show fearless fred !
looking forward to hearing more !
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 1403 UTC by EliteData »

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WAZU 7.524.222 AM 13:29 UTC
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 1341 UTC »
S3 here at 1338 UTC with "Manure Renewer" ad :D, followed by ID by OM
and a song by John Hartford (Banjo player for Glenn Campbell)
1343 UTC "Lunatic Fringe"-Red Rider
(Signal is fading a bit now)
1346 UTC Parody acoustic blues song by OM
1349 UTC Surf rock instrumental
1352 UTC OM with talk of next song by Rush off Moving Pictures, into "Red Barchetta"-Rush
1357 UTC OM...Fearless Fred ready to "kick this show in the ass"...."Good Bye", into parody ad and ad for selling a Congressman for only 299 thousand dollars down...one that will fit anybody's budget....slow moving but always effective...I'm Palmer Greaseman"....
1359 UTC OM with email addy... wazushortwave@gmail.com , into parody song
1400 UTC "Broadcasting to Planet Earth"...WAZU..."calling WA-Zed-U" repeated several time, then OFF at 1401 UTC

Thanks for a little Sunday morning kick in the ass Fearless Fred! 8)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 1402 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WAZU the "zed" 7.524.222 AM 13:29 UTC
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 1348 UTC »
I'm hearing it on peaks say S3 or so...

The 'weird' frequency might be because of an old military surplus crystal... they had split frequencies like this for doubling or tripling etc
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 1351 UTC by ka1iic »
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

JoeFLIPS

Re: WAZU the "zed" 7.524.222 Khz AM 13:29 UTC
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 1354 UTC »
1354- Rush "Red Barchetta"  S5-6
1357- host Fearless Fred talking..said "you take care of yourselves" into a parody ad
1359- gave wazedushortwave@gmail.com for QSLs into "Back To The Saddles Again" song wazushortwave@gmail.com
1401- ID jingle then off.

Thanks for the show! I sent my report to what I thought was wazedushortwave gmail addy and it bounced back. Thanks for clearing that up FF!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 1444 UTC by JoeFLIPS »

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 1431 UTC »
Good morning guys!  Did y'all just get up with the dog - or have you been hunting Euros all night?  Thanks for the reports.  If any of youse are wishin' a QSL, just hit my addy with a modest report.
wazushortwave@gmail.com

Elite: no amplifier, the band skip was just winding down - and not fast enough!
Skipmuck: You're the only guy that has ever THANKED me for a kick in the ass!  :D
Vince: Yep, a WWII vintage FT243
Joe: Most Canadians pronounce the letter "z" as "zed", yet spell it as "z".  And who am I to argue?  So the addy is: wazushortwave@gmail.com  BTW - It nullifies any confusion between z, b, c, v, d... well, I'm sure you get it. :)

Your receps were all off the east dipole end.  Nobody else heard...  Go figure.
Thanks again for your interest and 73!

ff
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 1456 UTC »
...Your receps were all off the east dipole end.  Nobody else heard...  Go figure.
Thanks again for your interest and 73!

ff
to let you know, before i posted in the forum here when i found you, i needed to verify if it was a commercial SWBC or not by logging into several remote SDR's.
websdr.org - Michigan - i saw the carrier and heard audio but just above the noise level
websdr.org - Texas - no carrier, im pretty sure that radio is using a very poor antenna
websdr.org - Canada - S7 but into the RF overload noise, it seems that SDR has RF overload from another nearby powerful station
sdr-radio.com - Iowa - also saw carrier on the waterfall but not strong enough to hear audio
sdr-radio.com - New Hampshire - same signal report as my location (east end, long island, NY) but a bit stronger.
globaltuners.com - Maryland - "43%" translates to about an S6-7 (the rest of USA tuners dont work properly or have very poor antennas)
smeter.net - Oregon - no carrier (obviously lol)
unfortunately, the majority of the remotely accessible SDR's on sdr-radio.com for the USA have no user/pass for access, have hardware issues, arent configured correctly for use over the internet and have "campers".
i would venture to say you did very well for NVIS and im looking forward to hearing you broadcast again :)

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 1313 UTC »
i would venture to say you did very well for NVIS and im looking forward to hearing you broadcast again :)

Thank you for the extensive information you gave, Elite.  I have been studying it and scratching my head a bit.  I believe I have some "near field" issues with the 40M dipole's present location.  Damn trees are never where they need to be, ya know?   ;)  Thanks again!
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns