We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Jefferson Airplane's Paul Kantner dies at 74  (Read 3204 times)

Fansome

Jefferson Airplane's Paul Kantner dies at 74
« on: January 29, 2016, 0314 UTC »
 Jefferson Airplane's Paul Kantner dies at 74

August BrownContact Reporter

Paul Kantner, the Jefferson Airplane guitarist, songwriter and fixture of the San Francisco '60s rock scene, died Thursday of septic shock and organ failure, according to his publicist, who confirmed his death with the San Francisco Chronicle. He was 74.

"Paul was a key architect in the development of what became known as the San Francisco Sound," wrote Recording Academy President Neil Portnow in a statement released Thursday. "The music community has lost a true icon, and we share our deepest condolences with Paul’s family and friends."

Kantner's sound -- a blues-based, psychedelic style -- formed the backbone of Jefferson Airplane, a band best known for such hits as "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love."

He cofounded the group with Marty Balin at the onset of the San Francisco hippie movement. After releasing their debut album, "The Jefferson Airplane Takes Off" in 1966, they soon recruited singer Grace Slick to add powerhouse vocals to their acid-tripping rock sounds that also featured lead guitarist Jorma Kaukonen, bassist Jack Casady and Spencer Dryden, who replaced the band's original drummer, Skip Spence.

The band's 1967 album "Surrealistic Pillow" is considered a high point of the psychedelic era. The group came to define the local scene and played the first headline gig at legendary rock promoter Bill Graham's venue the Fillmore Auditorium.

They performed one of the most acclaimed sets at Woodstock in 1969, though like many in their scene, saw their movement cut short by the violence at the Altamont festival just months later. At a concert headlined by the Rolling Stones and seen in the 1970 documentary "Gimme Shelter," Balin was attacked during Jefferson Airplane's set by a member of the Hell's Angels, who were hired as security.

Kantner and Slick re-formed the group as Jefferson Starship in 1974, after the band was derailed in its prime by infighting and legal troubles. Kantner officially left that group in 1985, though he toured and recorded under similar monikers for years after. The group also briefly reunited under its original name in 1989.

Kantner was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame along with Jefferson Airplane in 1996. He had suffered heart attacks last year and earlier this week, amid other health problems. He is survived by sons Gareth and Alexander and daughter China.

Nella F.

Re: Jefferson Airplane's Paul Kantner dies at 74
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 2353 UTC »

One of the few times where a classic rock tune gets redone by another group & equals it in originality:
                                                            "Wooden Ships".

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 0043 UTC »

Ironically, there is a good reason for that Nella....Paul Kantner cowrote Wooden Ships with David Crosby and Stephen Stills 8)

One of the few times where a classic rock tune gets redone by another group & equals it in originality:
                                                            "Wooden Ships".
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 0148 UTC »
"Blue Boy" Fansome promoting the crumb-bum hippy lifestyle again. Joe Friday warned me about you, bub!

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 0321 UTC »
Brings back memories of when Grace and I were shacked up together in the Haight. Good times. peace, love, and understanding.

"Blue Boy" Fansome promoting the crumb-bum hippy lifestyle again. Joe Friday warned me about you, bub!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 2313 UTC »
Brings back memories of when Grace and I were shacked up together in the Haight. Good times. peace, love, and understanding.

Understanding, ha! You've never been intelligible, much less understandable, Manson..... I mean Fansome!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 2324 UTC »
Take my advice
Don't listen to me
It ain't paradise
But it used to be
There was a time
When the river was wide
And the water
came running down
To the rising tide
But the wooden ships
Were just a hippie dream
Just a hippie dream.

Don't bat an eye
Don't waste a word
Don't mention nothin'
That could go unheard
'Cause the tie-dye sails
Are the screamin' sheets
And the dusty trail
Leads to blood
in the streets
And the wooden ships
Are a hippie dream
Capsized in excess
If you know what I mean.

Just because
it's over for you
Don't mean
it's over for me
It's a victory
for the heart
Every time
the music starts
So please
don't kill the machine
Don't kill the machine
Don't kill the machine.

Another flower child
goes to seed
In an ether-filled
room of meat-hooks
It's so ugly
So ugly.

HIPPIE DREAM-NEIL YOUNG
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 0031 UTC »
I thought we told Neil we don't need him around.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 0408 UTC »
Look at the picture below Mr. Pigmeat....can you guess which one is Ed King?

I thought we told Neil we don't need him around.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 0415 UTC by Skipmuck »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 0341 UTC »
That lil' feller that looks like a toad, but I'm cheating.