We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: PREPARING FOR YOUR NEXT DXPEDITION - Part 1 article  (Read 3761 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
PREPARING FOR YOUR NEXT DXPEDITION - Part 1 article
« on: February 14, 2016, 0328 UTC »
PREPARING FOR YOUR NEXT DXPEDITION - Part 1
One of the joys of listening to shortwave radio is going portable - setting up the gear in a completely different location to discover what reception is like in some other part of the country (or indeed, the world!). Last December, I wrote an article for The Spectrum Monitor on this very topic. It's my own particular "take" on this fun part of the radio hobby. PART 1 of the article has now been published at the Mount Evelyn DX Report. Part 2 will follow in a few days time!

Click the link if interested……

http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/preparing-for-your-next-dxpedition-part_13.html

Cheers, Rob VK3BVW
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline pendulous

• View Profile
Re: PREPARING FOR YOUR NEXT DXPEDITION - Part 1 article
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 1616 UTC »
Nice article. Look forward to part 2. I'm new to dxpeditioning. A few weeks ago, was traveling on business and was in Arizona for a week. I took the Elad SDR and Tecsun PL660 for radios. For antennas, I brought the quantum loop with mw and sw heads and the sony active wire loop. I was able to log a number of mexican mw stations. It was just interesting to listen to the content differences amongst the stations.

Offline VK3BVW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 2157 UTC »
Thanks pendulous. Great to see you doing some DX work away from home....even if it is on business trips!  :) Even a simple long wire attached to either of your two receivers would do wonders to reception. The goal is trying to find a noise-free environment for listening, and that task seems to be getting harder every day. 73 and good luck with your DXpeditioning!  Rob
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 2235 UTC »
Most of my transmitting trips were mini-dxpeditions. I can't say enough about the Sangean 909's of the same vintage as Rob's. You could attach hundreds of feet of wire to the things and not overload them.

Triple check your batteries and antennas before you go. There's nothing like driving two hours to Big Nowhere National Forest and finding out you've forgotten one or the the other.

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 0224 UTC »
Great article. I am also looking forward to part 2. I do some mobile and portable operation also, HF through UHF.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline VK3BVW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 0331 UTC »
I can't say enough about the Sangean 909's of the same vintage as Rob's. You could attach hundreds of feet of wire to the things and not overload them.

Yes, the Sangean ATS 909 is rather underrated. It cops a bad rap for reception on the whip antenna, which is appalling, I'll admit. But I never try to use it with just the whip. As you say, get some wire strung out and this thing really fires, without overloading (a rare trait for modern portables these day!!).
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com

Offline VK3BVW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 0332 UTC »
Terry, thanks for your feedback. Part 2 will be up on the blog at the start of this weekend.

Rob
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com