We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ten Minute Transmitter  (Read 4178 times)

Offline makeRF

• View Profile
    • makeRF.com
Ten Minute Transmitter
« on: February 26, 2016, 0423 UTC »
It's been a while since I've had time to do some radio tinkering.  I came across an interesting schematic last weekend for a very simple transmitter called the Ten Minute Transmitter.  I wrote about it here: http://makerf.com/posts/ten-minute-transmitter

If you buy a store bought RFC and use some capacitors in parallel instead of a variable capacitor, the only 'hard to get' part is the crystal.

I've done some tinkering with it since the initial build and have been able to amplify the signal up to about 9 watts!  I'm going to play with it some more and post about it again soon.

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
Re: Ten Minute Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 0946 UTC »
Hey makeRF,

those simple circuits are fun to begin with because they work almost every time on the first try and one gets a feeling of success (and therefore motivation). Since you have a Scope capable of FFT analysis, I think there's no need to point that out: but please have an eye on the RFI emitted.  I had saw simple 40m band oscillators that easily managed to generate harmonics on 100Mhz and more due to parasitive capacitive couple between (too long) component legs (primary because the transistor choosen was a type with ft=450Mhz++). So, wehen using a simple Oscilattor it's ueful to install a low-pass on it's output.

Oh, and, mind:
- When building an oscillator: it will amplify like hell, but hardly oscillate.
- When building an amplifier, it will oscillate perfectly but hardly amplify. :)

Kind regards,
Zazzle.
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline makeRF

• View Profile
    • makeRF.com
Re: Ten Minute Transmitter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 1351 UTC »
Yes, for sure!  I always add warnings for folks to use low pass filters to clean up the signal and a dummy load for experimentation.  The waveform is often not clean, especially when it's on a breadboard.  It usually looks a bit nicer when soldered, but even then it typically needs filtering for a clean waveform.