We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Continental 87 Heading North over Greenland.  (Read 3365 times)

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Continental 87 Heading North over Greenland.
« on: March 07, 2010, 2154 UTC »
At 21:30z on 11387usb caught the HFDL sig from COA87 at position 78.27N, 56.23W, in the northern reaches of Greenland, closing in on the Arctic Ocean on the way from Newark to Shang-Hai.  At that latitude is the farthest North I have ever caught an HFDL signal from my StL locale.  Ah the amusements of the high frequencies!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 2310 UTC by LanceLovejoy »
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

cmradio

Re: Continental 87 Heading North over Greenland.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 2228 UTC »
Indeed, nice catch! :)

Most of those northern crossers I catch on their 3 or 6MHz channels.

Peace!

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 0301 UTC »
Yes my friend, hearing those Northern Crossers via HFDL, or even better, by voice contacts with Gander and Shanwick carries a special charm as those fragile signals, buffeted by the frigid North Atlantic waters, (call me crazy but I swear I can almost hear those ocean winds roaring in the background) make their way to our humble radios and remind us of the trecherous journeys made in years gone by between the old world and the new!  Plus they do make for some great DX catches!
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline scagnettie2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 1533 UTC »
At 21:30z on 11387usb caught the HFDL sig from COA87 at position 78.27N, 56.23W, in the northern reaches of Greenland, closing in on the Arctic Ocean on the way from Newark to Shang-Hai.  At that latitude is the farthest North I have ever caught an HFDL signal from my StL locale.  Ah the amusements of the high frequencies!

Dude....ships go "over the top" to get to China via the Arctic Ocean? Am I understanding you correctly? Every now and then, the massive void of ignorance in my brain gets filled with new info and it blows me away.  ;D

Offline scagnettie2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 1544 UTC »
scratch what I just said.....Continental 87...as in the air plane.

Still...despite going in air....i don't picture a plane tracking due N out of Newark to get to China.

Offline scagnettie2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 2249 UTC »
damn I'm a dullard sometimes

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns