We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Excalibur Pro and Ultra Availability  (Read 4910 times)

vhavrilko

Excalibur Pro and Ultra Availability
« on: March 06, 2016, 1528 UTC »
Does anyone here own an Excalibur Pro?  I only have the standard model but it is a great receiver and one which I mainly use.  I e-mailed Winradio and asked them why they do not have pricing on the Pro and Ultra.  I also asked if they are made to order, especially the Ultra.  All I got for a response was.....crickets...nothing.  This is not what I come to expect from them as far as customer service.  I cannot afford the Ultra but I was looking at the Pro for the near to distant future if I decide not to get my amateur license once I complete my last degree (about 3-6 months) and actually have some spare time for the hobby.  I may just stick with the listening end of the hobby.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 0341 UTC by vhavrilko »

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Excalibur Pro and Ultimate Availability
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 1635 UTC »
Does anyone here own an Excalibur Pro?  I only have the standard model but it is a great receiver and one which I mainly use.  I e-mailed Winradio and asked them why they do not have pricing on the Pro and Ultimate.  I also asked if they are made to order, especially the Ultimate.  All I got for a response was.....crickets...nothing.  This is not what I come to expect from them as far as customer service.  I cannot afford the Ultimate but I was looking at the Pro for the near to distant future if I decide not to get my amateur license once I complete my last degree (about 3-6 months) and actually have some spare time for the hobby.  I may just stick with the listening end of the hobby.

Yes, I use both the G33DDC Pro and the G35DDC Ultra (as well as the G31DDC).  I assume you mean the Ultra, and not really the Ultimate, since I am unfamiliar with a WinRadio Excalibur Ultimate.

I consider the G31DDC Excalibur to be a very good to excellent radio, the Pro and the Ultra are both better yet.  All three of these radios rate, for me, as some of the best hobby oriented radios I have ever used.  OK, the G35 is not really a hobby oriented price point radio, but kinda, you get my meaning.  If you can deal with the fact there is almost no third party support for these radios, if the GUI as delivered from WinRadio works for you (and it does very well for me) you just can’t go wrong with them.

Pricing on the G33DDC Pro should be available from several vendors.  I do not know what it is today, but I got mine for $1700 a couple years ago.  When I went to purchase the Ultra I did it via Radixon directly.  The G35DDCi / XR (this is the model with 10 MHz external reference input) was right at $5100, at the same price point as the G39.

The G35 is excellent, really, really, good.  But unless you need the ability to record more than 4 MHz of spectrum at one time (the G35 will do up to 32 MHz wide recordings) I can’t really suggest it over the G33.  

T!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 1636 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

vhavrilko

Re: Excalibur Pro and Ultimate Availability
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 1702 UTC »
Token,

Thanks, I meant to say Ultra.

V/r,

Vince

Offline thereconprepper

• Georgia USA
    • View Profile
Re: Excalibur Pro and Ultra Availability
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 1832 UTC »
If a company doesn't have time to answer a question for me about their product then I don't have time to spend my money with them.
But hey thats just me. :)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 0312 UTC »
Your also dealing with a company that has a lot of military and government contracts, they know where their breads' buttered.

...Just sayin'

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 0333 UTC »
Shame if your email doesn't end in .mil or .gov they might look you by.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.