HFU HF Underground - Shortwave Pirate Radio Forums in North America and Around The World (And other stations that go bump in the night)
    New users are welcome! Please register for an account in order to post to the board.   Posting your logging here is the best way to get a QSL from a station. July 21, 2017, 1644 UTC *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can access the HF Underground wiki here: http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/Main_Page as well as the Radio Hobbyist technical blog

Click here for the: Pirate Radio IRC Chat Java Client

Also the EuroPirate Chat

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HF__Underground

Home   Help Search Login Register  
     Elmer Tech     
   iPhone app helps you study for your technician class amateur radio exam     

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beacon Project "Common and Precious II" (OFF air, 6.398.5kHz, 30W)  (Read 11741 times)
Zazzle

Longing for distant places

Ask+via+PM Ask+via+PM
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 0959 UTC »

Heyho,

Eh! Noticed a bug in the firmware. It sends "52W" instead of "25W". Lucky me, that I kept the TX-Box hidden on the ground this time. The controller is fittet into a socket, so I can replace it without big trouble.

Also the first reports came in. Made my day. Smiley

I wonder when the first oversea reports will arrive.

Greetings,
Zazzle,

Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.
ChrisSmolinski
Administrator
DX Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 1023 UTC »

I wonder when the first oversea reports will arrive.

Hi Zazzle,

I was able to receive the beacon the other day. I sent you a message with a link to some recorded audio.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
JRC-NRD 545 / RF Space netSDR / 670 ft horizontal loop / 500 ft beverage / 43mb sloping folded dipole
DimBulb
Global Moderator
DX Legend

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 0106 UTC »

Hello Zazzle, ULX2 let me know about your beacon.

I'm located in New Hampshire, USA and was listening to your beacon starting about an hour before local sunset and your signal was always there but battling with the thunderstorm static. Typically I could copy 30% to 50% of the CW. I have a 200m beverage antenna pointed at Europe (built for 160m but works very well on 48m).

August 25, 2016

2240z s3, noise peaks s7
2315z s4, noise peaks s7 (sun nearly set)
2330z s2, noise s5

Zazzle

Ask+via+PM Ask+via+PM
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 1152 UTC »

Hi there!

Summertime... always full of activities and I somehow lost track of checking for reports. Mea Culpa.

I was able to receive the beacon the other day. I sent you a message with a link to some recorded audio.

Thank you a lot! I read your mail today. A QSL card will be send out within the next couple of days.

I'm located in New Hampshire, USA and was listening to your beacon starting about an hour before local sunset and your signal was always there but battling with the thunderstorm static. Typically I could copy 30% to 50% of the CW. I have a 200m beverage antenna pointed at Europe (built for 160m but works very well on 48m).

Also big thanks to you. I send you a mail, asking about details and whether you'd like to receive a QSL card as well. Smiley

Kind greetings,
~Zazzle..

Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.
Zazzle

Ask+via+PM Ask+via+PM
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 1517 UTC »

Hey,

some on-site impressions of the TX-Unit. Smiley

TX-Unit, hidden under the roof construction
TX-Unit, hidden under the roof construction - Closeup Wired
And another closeup of the wired TX-Unit

Kind greetings,
~Zazzle

ChrisSmolinski
Administrator
DX Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 1552 UTC »

Nice pictures, Zazzle, thanks for sharing!

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
JRC-NRD 545 / RF Space netSDR / 670 ft horizontal loop / 500 ft beverage / 43mb sloping folded dipole
PirateSWL
DX Legend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 1715 UTC »

Is the beacon on 24/7 or specific times ? Will keep an ear out for it. Would be my first beacon to listen for. Guess I should expand my SWL hobbies ; )

Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: Kenwood TS-480 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com
Zazzle

Ask+via+PM Ask+via+PM
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 0832 UTC »

Hey!

Is the beacon on 24/7 or specific times ? Will keep an ear out for it. Would be my first beacon to listen for. Guess I should expand my SWL hobbies ; )

It runs 24/7. And with you being in the area of NY you have a good chance to pick a signal, even if somewhat noisy and weak. From the reports I got so far mostly in the morning hours.

Also, try your luck with the 30M-Band Beacon at 10.237.800Hz. Smiley

Greetings!
~Zazzle

Gino Italy

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 0016 UTC »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxb8Rr8I2NA&feature=youtu.be

Ciao Zazzle !!!

Rx Telettra TL/TRC 184,  R&S EK 56, Racal 1219,Collins 851 S1, Harris 505 A, Siemens E 401, Teletron TE 712 S, antenna folded dipole B&W -Delta loop for 20mt  and vertical antenna 12mt, dipole 40/ 80 mt, loop magnetic 2mt diameter , 3,5-14,5 Mhz.
ulx2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 2349 UTC »

Hello Zazzle!

The beacon on 6398.5 kHz seems to be silent. No reception of it for months here.

LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX: Degen DE-1103 portable
ANT1: Two phased external wires (2x10 meters approx.)
ANT2: Long wire (25 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF wide bandwidth active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector, homemade phasing device
Zazzle

Ask+via+PM Ask+via+PM
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 1415 UTC »

Hello Zazzle!
The beacon on 6398.5 kHz seems to be silent. No reception of it for months here.

I knooooooow. And I'm sooooory. Smiley

But I really felt not for fixing in. The weather was cold and wet until a few weeks ago and I really felt not for it. My worst fear was that the Beacons go stolen or seriously damanaged. Which added to my lack of motivation. The idea of facing time consuming repairs was not appealing at all. Looks like it has been dead since beginning of March.

But I checked last weekend. The mains cable, that runs over the steal beams under the roof is broken in two places. Cut into half. Looks like bite marks. I guess a rat (or other animal) had it's fun with the cable.

Verything else looks fine. Dunno when I'll have time to fix that. Likely at the beginning of next month.

I keep you posted.

~Zazzle

ChrisSmolinski
Administrator
DX Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 0015 UTC »

Hearing your beacon on 6398.46 at 0014z on 19 Jun 2017.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
Zazzle

Ask+via+PM Ask+via+PM
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 1154 UTC »

Hey everyone,

HA! Motivation struck and I fixed everything yesterday. What a beautiful evening. Lovely warm, no clouds and the sunset was just beautiful to watch. I love the look of ruins, flooded with the warm light of sunset.. and "mejestic "Antennas. Feels like reaching out from a secret, hidden world. Ah~ I'm getting romantic!. Smiley

Anyway. Fixing everything went smooth. I replaced most of the broken cables and renewed the joints with modern conenctors. Looks all nice and ready for some years to come.

In short: this beacon is up again. Smiley

Kind greetings,
Zazzle,

* 30M-CaP-Grid-Cable-Fix-WEB.jpg (72.7 KB, 800x600 - viewed 17 times.)

* 11M-CaP-Grid-Socket-WEB.jpg (97.85 KB, 800x600 - viewed 22 times.)

Zazzle

Ask+via+PM Ask+via+PM
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 1153 UTC »

Hi,

Status Update: This one is off air. Since about 10 days.

It died along with the 30m band Beacon.

I took the transmitter box with me. Looks like the PA is fried. The Keying works. I suspect that the stray field of a nearby lightning strike fried it.

Kind greetings,
Zazzle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
     Wire Calc     
   Calculate Resistance and Voltage Drop on the iPhone     

Jump to: