We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: VC01 & V13  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
VC01 & V13
« on: March 09, 2016, 2151 UTC »
CHINA. 5436-USB, VC01 (Chinese Military numbers
station), 1038 and subsequent checking till 1256, March 9.
Fair with OTH radar QRM.

TAIWAN. 7502.0-AM, StarStar Broadcasting Station (Xing
Xing BS) (V13), 1218, March 9. Chinese numbers; clearly in
AM mode, although I occasionally see reports of it in just USB;
fair; schedule here: 1200-1230 & 1300-1330.

Ron, listening in San Francisco at Ocean Beach, California

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VC01 & V13
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 1247 UTC »
Ron, another current VC01 freq (switched to on the same day as 5436 kHz) is 6505 kHz LSB.  As I said before, this station seems to switch to a new set of freqs in the first week of each month, normally right around the 6th of each month.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

vhavrilko

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 1335 UTC »
Sorry Ron...the mode is AM.  I went to Global Tuners and it appears to be AM.  I checked with Priom.org and it lists it as either AM or USB + carrier.  I was able to hear both sidebands.  The signal if audible here but not strong enough to get a good picture of it on the waterfall display.  I can try narrowing the bandwidth water fall next time and see.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 1523 UTC »
Typically V13 is AM, or USB+carrier.  Sometimes the carrier is reduced, but every time I have looked it is present.  However lots of stations that are in AM are reported in USB or LSB because the person receiving does not check AM or the station may sound better in SSB.  When I see a report of USB or LSB for a station that might actually be AM I take it with a grain of salt, and assume it is possible the reporting party never checked AM or that it just sounded better in SSB, despite actually being in AM.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns