We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Observations from East Coast of New Zealand, Saturday 18 June  (Read 1048 times)

Offline loul

• View Profile
A very intermittent watch was kept on 6250-6500 and 6850-7000kHz between about 0440 utc and 0850 utc approx, on 18 June, and a more regular lookout was kept for Channel Z, which was heard on 6925 first at 0428 utc up to 0524 utc approx - end of transmission (except for times between spent trawling other frequencies). Reception was poor - able to detect that the announcer was male, and snatches of detail of music tracks, but no individual words were able to be heard this time.
At 0432 utc - ish I was receiving two signals on 6954, one possibly in English and I wondered if it might be a cross-modulation from NZ perhaps. Something was also present on 6954 at 0440, and approx 0448, but had gone by 0504.
Nothing else of note was noted. (A few carrier waves but they seem to pop up everywhere...)
I was using a simple dipole cut for 6.925 and a flattened delta (horizontal 3.1X vertical height approx) cut for same frequency, with terminator, balun and preamp; and Lowe HF-150, from a coastal site 200m plus from the nearest power lines.
If anyone knows of a transmission on 6954 I'd be interested to hear - my readout is in 1kHz intervals but it's a full 1 or 2 turns of the tuning dial per 1kHz depending on whether I'm on usb or double sideband, so think the 6924 will be fairly accurate.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Observations from East Coast of New Zealand, Saturday 18 June
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 1218 UTC »
If you check wwv on their various frequencies and they zero beat say 100hz or less from what they're supposed to be, in ssb mode, you're doing just fine.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.