We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Happy Tau Day!  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Happy Tau Day!
« on: June 29, 2016, 1426 UTC »
Much cooler than Pi Day.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Happy Tau Day!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 1550 UTC »
Much cooler than Pi Day.

You can say that when someone can bake something like this for Tau.  ;D
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 1741 UTC »
6.283185 radians = 360 degrees
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 1748 UTC »
I would love to have a tau button on my calculator.  A lot of EE calculations require 2 * PI as a value entry, and saving a couple of button presses would save a lot of grief.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 2159 UTC »
Is there an e day? There should be one. e makes calc so easy (unlike sine, cosine, tagent, and the rest of the trigonometry cabal).

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 0049 UTC »
I don't know. Ask Al, this stuff usually has to be ran past him before it can be approved. He is the Lord of Numbers.

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 0127 UTC »
Impure Mathematics:
The Adventures of Polly Nomial
Richard A. Gibbs
The Best Of The Journal of Irreproducible Results, 1983

Once upon a time (1/t), pretty little Polly Nomial was strolling across a field of vectors, when she came to the edge of a singularly large matrix. Now Polly was convergent, and her mother had made it an absolute condition that she must never enter such an array without her brackets on. Polly, however, had changed her variables that morning, and, feeling particularly badly behaved, she ignored this condition on the grounds that it was insufficient, and made her way in amongst the complex elements.

Rows and columns enveloped her on all sides. Tangents approached her surface. She became tensor and tensor. Quite suddenly, three branches of a hyperbola touched her at a single point. She oscillated violently, lost all sense of directrix, and went completely divergent. As she reached a turning point, she tripped over a square root which was protruding from the erf, and plunged headlong down a steep gradient. When she was differentiated once more, she found herself, apparently alone, in a non-euclidean space.

She was being watched however. That smooth operator, Curly Pi, was lurking inner product. As his eyes devoured her curvilinear coordinates, a singular expression crossed his face. Was she still convergent, he wondered. He decided to integrate improperly at once.

Hearing a vulgar function behind her, Polly turned round, and saw Curly Pi approaching with his power series extrapolated. She could see at once, by his degenerate conic and his dissipative terms, that he was bent on no good.

"Eureka!" she gasped.

"Ho, ho!" he said. "What a symmetric little polynomial you are. I can see that you are absolutely bubbling over with secs."

"Sir," she said, "keep away from me. I haven't got my brackets on."

"Calm yourself, my dear," said our suave operator, "your fears are purely imaginary."

"i, i" she thought. "Perhaps he's homogeneous then?"

"What order are you?" the brute demanded.

"Seventeen", replied Polly.

Curly leered. "I suppose you've never been operated on yet?" he said.

"Of course not!" Polly cried indignantly. "I'm absolutely convergent!"

"Come, come," said Curly. "Let's off to a decimal place I know, and I'll take you to the limit!"

"Never!" gasped Polly.

His patience was gone. Coshing her over the coefficient with a log until she was powerless, Curly removed her discontinuities. He stared at her significant places and began to smooth her points of inflexion. Poor Polly. All was lost. She felt his hand bounding to her asymptotic limit. Her convergence would be gone for ever.

There was no mercy, for Curly was a heavyside operator. He integrated by parts. He integrated by partial fractions. The complex beast even went all the way round, and did a contour integration. What an indignity! Curly went on operating until he was completely and absolutely orthogonal.

When Polly got home that evening, her mother noticed that she had been truncated in several places. But it was too late to differentiate now - the seeds having been sown. As the months went by, Polly increased monotonically. Finally, she generated a small, but pathological, function, which left surds all over the place, until she was driven to distraction.

The moral of this sad story is this: If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 0258 UTC »
Been at the algae, Al?

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 0339 UTC »
No wonder you're so ill-tempered; you smell like you just stepped on a surd!

Been at the algae, Al?

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 1326 UTC »
Is there an e day? There should be one. e makes calc so easy (unlike sine, cosine, tagent, and the rest of the trigonometry cabal).

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/e-day.html
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 1932 UTC »

Only twice in 1828
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 2054 UTC »
Much cooler than Pi Day.
You can say that when someone can bake something like this for Tau.  ;D
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 2310 UTC »
Oh thanks Skipmuck! I can rest easy now, at least until Jan 27 and/or Feb 7th when The Par-Tay™ will happen!

Minneapolis, MN

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 2314 UTC »
This guy goes to a park and he sees a pair of snakes slither by.

He says to them, "Mr Snake, where are the little snakes?"

Mr Snake replies, "We can't multiply, we're adders. "

The guy is satisfied with the answer and finishes his vacation in the park, then goes home.

He comes back the following year and this time he sees Mr & Mrs Snake with a bunch of baby snakes.

He asks them, "Mr. Snake, I thought you couldn't multiply?"

Mr Snake replies, "We can't, but the park ranger built us a log table last summer."

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 2320 UTC »
No wonder you're so ill-tempered; you smell like you just stepped on a surd!

Been at the algae, Al?

Probably from that peach tree you gave me. Instead of growing normally the roots grow out, up, and around. They never stop!