We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC says TV airwaves being sold for wireless use worth $86.4 bln  (Read 2393 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission said on Wednesday the price of 126 MHz of television airwaves taken from broadcasters to be sold for wireless use in an ongoing auction is $86.4 billion.

But analysts said wireless providers may not be willing to pay the staggering amount for the airwaves to expand their networks, which could prompt the FCC to hold another round of auctions.

Recon Analytics analyst Roger Entner said the results confirm that broadcasters have "significantly inflated expectations."

Full article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-airwaves-auction-idUSKCN0ZF22U
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Can 76-88 MHz be converted to some form of LPFM or something similar?

(personally, I'd rather see C-QUAM here, but I'm not going to push my luck).
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'd be surprised if they got even 1/10th of this amount.... more like 1/100th or less.

But they better hurry because perhaps the Chinese market will start selling devices for the frequencies.

;D
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
But they better hurry because perhaps the Chinese market will start selling devices for the frequencies.

They already do Vince.  The Chinese FMs you see on Ebay that are built around the Rohm BH1414 and BH1415 chips are capable of operation throughout that entire range.  The BH1416 can be used 76.8-78 MHz.  Many of the sellers' units are easily put into operation there.

I'm with Skeezix.  I'd also like to see a good chunk of that go for low power broadcast but I'm not holding my breath. 

Until then, we'll just have to be happy using the range for our STL links - with those aforementioned cheap Chinese FM band bangers... and cheap Chinese receivers that are capable of tuning the same range.  ;)
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
You are right ff ... I forgot and it was a stupid memory blank for me as I have tested some of those units right here (on a dummy load of course... yes really a dummy load... honest... I wouldn't kid you... <sigh>).

I was amazed at the overall frequency coverage and my stomach kinds sorta turned over when the thought passed that some evil person could raise hell with these devices.

I had 2 identical units just by chance , one was relativity clean but the one was dirty as all get out.  Same design, board, parts, layout, power supply, etc... so the only thing that could be different were the active component quality...  voltages seemed the same but...  something was wrong.  :'(

Lacking a full lab I never wrote this up.  Maybe someone with a complete lab could try this same experiment... ???  Oh well, I'm too old and worn out to enter into such matters  ::)

Later and thanks for giving my memory a much needed kick  ;D   
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!