We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Questions: what would audio, RF, etc look like...  (Read 1355 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Questions: what would audio, RF, etc look like...
« on: July 05, 2016, 1949 UTC »
Ok, time for me to get serious so here goes,

What would audio, RF or etc looks like if we could see them?

Of course this would require that we extend what we call the existing light(colour) spectrum.

I realize we have test equipment that allows us to 'see' such things but what do you think these things would really look like?

Serious replies welcome but let's keep it also on the lighter side too, so funnies/jokes/etc are allowed.

Any artist in the group?  Dreamers?  Far visioned (no pun intended) folks... etc etc.  Sometimes it pays to think like a child because they often have answers that we adults often cannot see...

Think about it...

:)

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: what would audio, RF, etc look like...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 2108 UTC »
Only a mind trained at Caltech could answer this one, but that fellow is normally off hunting for Amelia Earhart during the summer months.

I have heard a couple of engineers over the years claim it's possible to "see" microwaves under certain circumstances. I think they were addled from too much RF. It made them smell like burning rope.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 1225 UTC »
Well so many animals can see light that we can't... recently the scientists (?) claim that cats can see UV light.  They went on to explain that cats can see where the other cat 'sprayed' as UV light.  For us mere humans we don't 'see' it we smell it...

Yep, that damned Tom cat from across the street has been spraying the hedges again...

Seeing microwaves...???!!!  Last time I tried that trick my brain ended up looking like scrambled eggs and I thought I was back in the 1960's taking a trip without leaving the farm.

Where am I ?????
I meant this as a serious question.... (thump thump thump).  It occurred to me after dumping out all my crayons out of the box. I want more color... (colour to you Brit folks).

So.... I pose the question once again... <read first post please>
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 1757 UTC »
I imagine we'd see about what we see in the visible light spectrum save that anything that doesn't reflect or reradiate rf or audio wouldn't be seen. During some training, a rookie cop asked me what does he need to know about the radar gun, I said imagine everything that is made of metal as having a mirror finish and the gun is a really bright light, certain mirrors at certain angles will reflect more or less light back at the light source. Also don't hold it between your legs when not in use, the lo is running at microwave freqs all the time and your nards might not appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 1632 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.