We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC sets the stage for the next generation of wireless services  (Read 1935 times)

Fansome

FCC sets the stage for the next generation of wireless services: super-fast 5G
5G wireless service

Federal regulators on Thursday opened the door to the next generation of wireless services, making the U.S. the first nation to allocate a wide swath of airwaves to deliver super-fast 5G access.

The Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously to clear the way for mobile devices to send and receive signals over high-frequency spectrum that has had only limited uses until recent technological advances.

The agency also laid the groundwork to auction a large amount of that spectrum to wireless companies while allowing more open or shared uses of the rest – all with flexible rules in hopes of duplicating the regulatory environment that helped fuel innovation in the existing fourth-generation networks.

“By not getting involved in the technologies that will use the spectrum we’re turning loose the incredible innovators of this country … and with our oversight to protect competition we ensure that the forces that drive that innovation and improved consumer service are alive and well,” FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said.

“This is a big day for our nation,” he said.

But the brave new world of 5G is still billions of dollars and several years away.

The FCC hasn’t set a date for an auction of licenses to use the new airwaves. And IGR, a wireless market strategy consulting firm, estimated it would cost $56 billion to develop, test and deploy technologies to use the spectrum in the U.S. through 2025.

The fifth generation of mobile service since the first bulky cellular phones were introduced in the early 1980s promises to deliver data at least 10 times faster than today’s 4G networks.

Experts said 5G is the key to expanded wireless uses, such as autonomous vehicles, Internet-connected appliances, virtual reality and yet-to-be-imagined applications. The technology also is seen as crucial to extending high-speed Internet access to rural areas that are expensive to serve with cable or fiber.

FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn said, “There is seemingly no limit on how what we refer to as 5G could impact our everyday existence.”

“A refrigerator that not only alerts you to a near empty egg carton, but automatically adds that item to a virtual shopping list, enabling a delivery to your door by week’s end, without any action from you,” she said. “Or remote surgery being performed in the Alaskan bush by a preeminent surgeon thousands of miles away.”

The airwaves set aside by the FCC previously had not been thought to be useful for commercial wireless services and have had limited uses, such as satellite transmissions.

But technological advances are making it possible to use that spectrum, which can carry large amounts of data much faster.

“We’re talking about a network that is 10 times faster than your current network and supports hundreds of times more devices,” said Meredith Attwell Baker, president of CTIA, a leading wireless trade group that pushed to open up the airwaves.

“It’s five times more responsive. It’s going to enable real-time services that are really going to unlock potential for consumers and the Internet of things,” she said.

Baker said that an autonomous vehicle using 4G technology takes 4.6 feet to stop once a signal is sent via a wireless connection. With 5G, the car would stop after travelling just an inch.

Still, there are limits.

The high-frequency airwaves can carry signals over shorter distances than 4G spectrum, so they require more receivers to knit together networks. But those receivers could be as small as smoke detectors, making them easier to deploy on existing towers and buildings.

The FCC has been trying to streamline the processes for approvals of those 5G base stations.

AT&T and Verizon are planning 5G trials next year, although the service probably won’t be available to most consumers until 2020.

But with South Korea, Japan and other nations studying the deployment of 5G networks, the FCC said the U.S. needed to act to maintain the nation’s technological edge in mobile technology.

“The race to 5G is on,” FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said. “But for 5G technology to take off, for the United States to win this race, we need spectrum — and lots of it.”   

Satellite companies are concerned about interference from new mobile uses in the high-frequency airwaves. And public interest groups want more of the airwaves to be available for unlicensed uses such as Wi-Fi instead of being auctioned to wireless companies.

The FCC said its new rules set up spectrum-sharing arrangements that would ensure satellite and mobile users could coexist.

But the satellite industry is concerned given the billions of dollars invested by SpaceX, OneWeb and other companies to develop networks to deliver high-speed Internet access.

“While we certainly believe that sharing is possible, we want to make sure there isn’t interference with existing and planned satellite operations,” said Tom Stroup, president of the Satellite Industry Assn., a trade group.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FCC sets the stage for the next generation of wireless services
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 0151 UTC »
There sure seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors in this prophesy.  Nothing creeps me out more that 'smart' (read DUMB) appliances.  I really don't need a higher authority to know how many eggs are left in my fridge.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 1124 UTC »
A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
We'll be clean when their work is done
We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young.

"Honey; did you see my spandex jacket?"
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 1721 UTC »
These guys screw up everything....

What's next?  Wireless sex?  I mean really... ::)

Now where is my 'stupid' phone.... :'(
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 0259 UTC »
14jul16:
Just read in the USA Today section that the FCC is going to open spectrum
for the future 5G wireless systems at: 28, 37, and 39 GIGAHERTZ!!! With an
additional spectrum at 64 - 71 gHz for unlicensed users! Now that's
ULTRA, ULTRA high freqs! The h/w and s/w will be interesting but I hope
we don't end up with micro cell towers every 100 meters or so.

One of my favorite sayings is: "Only dumb people need smartphones!"

I'm an old poop (and proud of it) and my cell RADIO is a basic one for talking and very
rare text messages. I still mainly depend on my landline phone for calls
to / from other folks.

The "Internet of Things" is one of the most useless ideas I've ever heard.
I mean, I can open my refrigerator and quickly determine if I need anything!
SDR-IQ / IC-R70 / IC-735 / FT-817ND / FT-991A, RSPduo,5 band vertical
Near Music City, TN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 1632 UTC »
Think some milsats operate up there around 60 or 70Ghz or so.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 1750 UTC »
The hotels around Opryland are said to be exempt from this expansion. They will continue to operate as normal. Some weirdo was causing trouble about awhile back, but the FCC has put him in a secure facility under heavy sedation.

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 0313 UTC »
Yeah, Gaylord Opryland seems to not like to have any competition
with their wirele$$ $ervice
SDR-IQ / IC-R70 / IC-735 / FT-817ND / FT-991A, RSPduo,5 band vertical
Near Music City, TN

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 1449 UTC »
Seriously (as if I could be serious)

Errrrrr...  don't these people understand there are real health issues with these types of RF microwaves.

As in; (paraphrase) 'Unsafe at any level'... I mean really.

As for remotely checking out the fridge... the Feds really want to know if you're eating a good healthy diet vs those nasty burritos and beer you really eat.  ;D

There is also the issue of who/whom may be keeping the C4 nice and cool...

Maybe the Feds plan to get into your brain... (?)  Burn out certain brain tissue to cause you to ignore what is really going on, or even to re-program your brain to 'think' in the correct manner. If they plan to burn out parts of my brain I hope it will be the part that keeps me in the prison of morality... yeah!  that will work for sure  ::)

"The power of Foamy compels you, the power of Foamy compels you."  'Beware of the wrath of my nutz'

What time is it?  Almost 11 AM... time for a beer...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 1451 UTC by ka1iic »
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!