We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 20 kHz wide signal centered on 10.130 MHz, USA  (Read 3060 times)

Offline CrackedLCD

• Baldwin County, Alabama
  • Not nearly as think as you confused I am.
    • View Profile
    • Alabama Broadcast Media Page
    • Email
UNID 20 kHz wide signal centered on 10.130 MHz, USA
« on: August 02, 2016, 0934 UTC »
It sounds a lot like OTH radar, but I've never known one to go on for quite this long or sound quite this… buzzy.

I've got a one minute video of it on YouTube.

This went on for at least five minutes around 0253 UTC (9:53 PM Central US) and pretty much covered up most of the 30 meter ham band.  The recording was made on the Gulf coast of Alabama, in AM mode but with the bandwidth set to 20 kHz to capture the entire audio portion. 
Baldwin County, Alabama
SDRplay RSP-1
W6LVP active loop
Please QSL to: sordidandsublime@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 20 kHz wide signal centered on 10.130 MHz, USA
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 1355 UTC »
Are those psk carriers?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline CrackedLCD

• View Profile
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 2351 UTC »
I have no idea...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Baldwin County, Alabama
SDRplay RSP-1
W6LVP active loop

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 0019 UTC »
This is a radar.  Specifically it is the British PLUTO radar from the island of Cyprus.  This is its 50 Hz mode of operation, probably equating to a maximum possible detection range of about 3000 km.

It is normal for this radar, and the similar Russian 29B6, to sometimes set on frequency for hours at a time.  They both follow propagation to maximize coverage in the desired target area, and if the conditions don't change it can set on a given freq for a long time, on the other hand sometimes it can also move to a new freq in minutes.  If you plot the freq vs time you will generally see that they both move down in frequency in the evening (for their locations) and up in frequency in the mornings.

Another video of it here in the same mode of operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU6UTZUCvsc

This video is of the radar in its 25 Hz mode, probably equating to a maximum possible range of about 6000 km:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDgQyvz31M4

The PLUTO radar is similar to the Russian 29B6 radar in sound, however they are different.  Some users have trouble telling them apart, so I did a short video on the differences between the two signals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsmMvOuFtOs

T!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 0024 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline CrackedLCD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 0215 UTC »
Wow, thanks Token!  A comment was left on the YouTube video of it being from Cypress.  Sure was a strong signal, I can only imagine the power they use to generate that kind of a signal.

I guess the military doesn't care when it lands in the ham bands or anywhere else; now that I know the name I'm seeing more videos of it online and a lot of them seem to fall within the ham radio bands and occasionally broadcast bands.
Baldwin County, Alabama
SDRplay RSP-1
W6LVP active loop

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 0314 UTC »
Yeah, I left the comment on YouTube about it being Cyprus ;)

Typically PLUTO avoids the ham bands, however they do, sometimes, land in them.  When it does, people tend to notice and comment.  The same can be said for the Russian 29B6 radar.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA