We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 28.319.95 RFI or... ?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Venatoria

• York, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
28.319.95 RFI or... ?
« on: August 04, 2016, 0308 UTC »
This seems the most applicable place to put this. A brief introduction, I listen primarily via mobile as CC&R's prohibit me from a decent outdoor receive antenna. Thus, my ears are deafened by comparison.

I picked this little signal up while waiting on my YL to close her store, I was tuning around the 10 meter band in hopes of picking up some late grey line activity (no avail). I stumbled across what sounded like a dasher beacon in the area of 28.320 USB. I tuned around a bit and found zero beat on 28.319.95 using the CW filter on the transceiver in my car.

I believe this to be RFI, but I could very well be wrong, I'll let the pro's school me on this one. I may return tomorrow evening when I wait for her again but this time walk around with a handheld scanner and a DF antenna to narrow it down (if I hear it! This is the FIRST time my log shows me picking something up in this area on this band).

Attenuation completely shut down the signal, so it's not immediately close (within a few hundred feet I'd guess).

Anywho, here ya go. If this is the wrong place, please move this threat... It's not digital (that I know of) so the digital ID category I felt was a bad choice.

73 de Venatoria

Video: https://youtu.be/OhuJRL-aEk4
This is a map of the surrounding area, I was parked, engine off between Cape Horn Pets (YL's Store) and the McDonalds closest to the pet store. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cape+Horn+Pets/@39.9155102,-76.6318519,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c8862343d8c2d5:0xfdd64be28869ce4d!8m2!3d39.9160883!4d-76.63175

ps: I am fairly dumb on the listening end, so even guessing what is causing the RFI I'm lost... A timer of sort? Maybe McD's put in a new batch of fries? hi-hi

EDIT: Received 8/4/16@0107z
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 0314 UTC by Venatoria »
FM19 York, PA
FT-857D Mobile (To hell with CC&R's)
k3zrt.m(at)gmail(dot)com

MISSING: Sun Spots, if found please return to Sol for the benefit of radio kind.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: 28.319.95 RFI or... ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 1750 UTC »
Who knows, but a lot of stoplights emit some serious hash on ambc that can sound similar to what you heard on 10m.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Venatoria

• York, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 28.319.95 RFI or... ?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 0240 UTC »
Hmm hadn't thought of that. Most lights around here use mag-sensors so that never crossed my mind.

Tonight though, nothing heard, not like this anyway, just the typical 60 cycle whine from the over head parking lot lights.

I will find this mystery haha.

Thanks for a lead none-the-less.

73 de Venatoria
FM19 York, PA
FT-857D Mobile (To hell with CC&R's)
k3zrt.m(at)gmail(dot)com

MISSING: Sun Spots, if found please return to Sol for the benefit of radio kind.