We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: PRESERVING SHORTWAVE BROADCAST RECORDINGS  (Read 1322 times)

Offline dxace1

• DXing Phenomena
  • Potomac MD
  • PLEASE eQSL to: dxace1@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
PRESERVING SHORTWAVE BROADCAST RECORDINGS
« on: August 17, 2016, 1553 UTC »
Some years ago, I urged those of us survivors in the shortwave listening
community to transfer any reel or cassette tapes to digital format.  In
recent years we have lost many top DX'ers to illness.  Collections of
recordings have unfortunately also been lost because family members are
not able to preserve them or have no interest in doing so. 

If there are any members of the HF Underground groups who have such recordings, I
am able to transfer them from/to to any format -- including MD, SONY Microcassette
(both of these are obviously still legacy formats but many still use MD for example), and
straight to solid state media such as SD, MicroSD, etc   

While I realize that most people do have the knowledge and capabilities to transfer old
recordings, I know many lack the time and patience to do so.  So I am offering my
services here, for reasonable fees to compensate me for time invested.  You can reach me
at:  dxace1@gmail.com

Those who wish to simply donate recordings can send them to me (please get in touch first). 
Anyone who does wish to have their recording collection(s) transferred in full and to have
original tapes or cassettes returned, I ask to be compensated for postage costs.  If you wish
to provide solid state media for the transfers that is fine, but please make sure that thumb drives
or memory cards are of sufficient size.  Otherwise I will obtain memory cards/sticks.

In recent years I have transferred recordings of about a dozen DX'ers who have passed, and
for a few who left the hobby.  All of these recordings are valuable as they represent snapshots
of the SW broadcasting era and of history -- they should be preserved.

Dan in Potomac, MD (USA)  eQSL to:  dxace1@gmail.com

Receivers: Skanti R-8001, WJ 8718AMFP/8711A/8709/8712P, JRC NRD-630/301A/93, NRD-505/545/515, Drake R8/8B/SPR-4/R-7A, RFT EKD-515, ITT MacKay 3041A, McKay Dymek DR33-C6, AEG 1800/3, Racal RA-1792, Cubic 3280/2400, R&S EK-056/070/085/896/200, ICOM 71A/8500/8600/9000, Elad DuoR, AOR 7030, Lowe HF-250, Ten Tec RX-350, Yaesu FRG-8800/100, Collilns 51S-1

Offline markolinux

• Goshen, IN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: PRESERVING SHORTWAVE BROADCAST RECORDINGS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 2353 UTC »
I don't have very many surviving recordings from shortwave, but the few I had (on cassette), I have partially converted to digital. (I can't find the one I had of Radio Vilnius, when Russia invaded. There was a YL giving instructions to whoever was still listening, and at one point she said something like "If a tank comes to your home, please don't shoot at it.")

Is there a place for us to upload/share these recordings once converted? I've run across a few archives here and there, and there's some stuff scattered around on YouTube, but it would be nice if there was one "generally accepted by the community" place to put all these.

I also have a CD that my good friend (now SK) Chuck Mitchell created, with snippets of audio from many stations, going back into the 70s. He was going to create a series of them, but unfortunately his cancer had other plans. He passed in 2001. His call sign was WB9NWF. Anyway, I might try to make the audio snippets accessible as well, although he designed it to be interactive, and it has links to pictures from a DXpedition we went on, and a few other misc. things.

He also made a great recording of St. Helena, and I think he was able to call in that particular year, although I'm not sure it's on the recording. I'll have to go back and listen to it.
SDRs:  Perseus -- HF+ Discovery -- RSPdx
Antennas:  DKAZ -- Superloop (Conti) -- Belar loop
                  -- Vertical wire -- BOG/LOG (sometimes)
SW - MW; Listening and DXing.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: PRESERVING SHORTWAVE BROADCAST RECORDINGS
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 0100 UTC »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.