We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Grounding design for portable PL-600  (Read 2416 times)

Offline RadRoadrunner

• Nashville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email Contact
    • Email
Grounding design for portable PL-600
« on: August 21, 2016, 0355 UTC »
This evening I was listening to the broadcast of Wolverine Radio(Great quality show if you're reading this, Wolverine!) and noticed some issues. While listening the signal,combined with the local thunderstorm production of QRN, was causing the output to overload the speakers. Grabbing the whip antenna with my hand seemed to help very much and almost alleviate the problem, so I was wondering if anybody has come up with ways to ground a portable radio while still making it "portable", so to speak. I would request that the apparatus to ground the antenna be no larger than 2 in. x 4 in. x 1 in., but slightly larger designs are also appreciated. Thank you for any help in advance.
Please QSL At:  sansswl@gmail.com

Radios: Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-380
Antenna: 1.25m Coil Antenna + Whip Antenna on PL-600

Offline bobbert

• United SNAKES of America: OHIO RIVER: Adams County
  • pirate listener via bicycle or motorcycle travelin
    • View Profile
Re: Grounding design for portable PL-600
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 0210 UTC »
I been moderately successful in a grounding rod (although it doesn't align with your measurements as indicated above, so I apologize in advance).
I slightly peeled off the plastic on my 3mm antenna plug on my Sangean reel antenna, and soldered the attached ground wire from this rod, to the outside edge / ground part of the plug.

Most of the time it works, esp. in an area one-hundred acres from any source of interference.
My receiver is the Sangean 909x modified version. I hate it, but until something a little more useful (to me) comes out on the market, I'm gonna sell this unit. Cheers.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1934

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 0213 UTC by bobbert »
Belka-dx Max
BHI Compact In-Line Noise Eliminating Module
3Eartools headphones
Dipole 66' Inverted Vee at home or attached 3' whip mobile when traveling + away from r/f