We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What is the farthest station heard  (Read 18255 times)

Offline Pirate_Hunter

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Email
What is the farthest station heard
« on: August 26, 2016, 1501 UTC »
What is the farthest station on FM that anyone has heard?
Newport, NC
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: nz4dx@nz4dx.com
Icom IC 7700 and 156' wire at 75 feet

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is the farthest station heard
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 2031 UTC »
There was a DX'er by the name of Bruce Elving near Duluth, MN who was rumored to have heard commercial FM stations from Germany.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pirate_Hunter

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 2119 UTC »
Good grief never would of thought that far
Newport, NC

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pirate_Hunter

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 2302 UTC »
Thanks alot guys.. I find that very interesting..
Newport, NC

Offline Fred Smith

• Far NE MD in the Wedge
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 0218 UTC »
My furthest is a little over 1000 miles. Delaware to Arkansas.

Check this out. http://dxworld.com/tvfmlog.php
FT-920, SDR Play and others. 80 meter doublet/openwire feed, 80/10 OCFD, 400 BOG  NE/SW unterminated

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 0223 UTC »
A friend of mine here in Wisconsin got Claire FM from Ireland, multi-hop E-skip, and he's got the audio to prove it.  It's up on youtube if anyone wants to search it.  I nearly fell over when I heard it! 

The farthest I've ever gotten is either KIXY FM in San Angelo, Texas to Wisconsin, just a brief snippet but an ID was part of what I heard, or New Hampshire Public Radio also to Wisconsin.  That one was clear as a local for at least an hour, including local sports scores - the team name the Rock Cats was a new one on me, I can tell you. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 0108 UTC »
jFarley, thanks for posting that link about Bruce Elving. Did not know of him. Most interesting.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 0348 UTC »
About 1100 miles when I wasn't much more than a kid a station from a in Shreveport, Louisiana. These days I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but in those days there were so few FM stations, if an odd one showed up, it stood out. Ducting along the front of what are now known as an "Alberta Clipper" is my best guess? It went from mild and gusty where I lived to "thundersnow" in about an hour that afternoon.

I was trying to catch a regional HS basketball tourney game that had been bumped due to NFL football to FM. The Shreveport station stood out like a sore thumb in the days of the near empty FM dial. It lasted maybe 20 minutes, tops. I couldn't figure out why I was hearing LSU basketball, as they weren't playing Kentucky? UK could have played a HS team and it would have been on every radio and TV station in the region, the NFL be damned. I got a partial id on the Shreveport station on a time out. A few minutes later it was gone.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 0408 UTC by Pigmeat »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 1944 UTC »
There was a DX'er by the name of Bruce Elving near Duluth, MN who was rumored to have heard commercial FM stations from Germany.

+-RH

I remember his FM Atlas books, back in my FM DXing days. They were invaluable.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline James Brownyard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 1528 UTC »
Back in the late 80's or early 90's , I was receiving KMGN 93.9 from Flagstaff, AZ on portable with just the whip when I lived in North East, PA.  This was the strongest and most stable Es opening I have ever come across. This was an intense mid morning opening that lasted for several hours because I remember listening to their morning show until about noon local time. I figured the distance was close to 1800 miles and it remains my all time record.

I would love to have an opening like that again today on the SDR where you can record a large section of the band. You can see where the stations fade in and out on the waterfall and be able to catch all of them within the chunk you were able to sample. It's pretty cool. ;D

Offline Janne-FIN

• Jyväskylä, Finland
    • View Profile
    • Dxing.world
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 0816 UTC »
Hello from Jyväskylä, Finland!

Here is my all time TOP5 farthest stations I've heard:

1. RUS: Radio Rossii, Ishim/Gagarino 66.89MHZ (OIRT) - 2539km (1578 miles)
2. I: Kiss Kiss Italia, Putignano 98.70MHz - 2444km (1519 miles)
3. I: Radionorba, Bari - 105.5MHz - 2423km (1506 miles)
4. F: France Bleu Breizh Izel, Lorient - 2412km (1498 miles)
5. TUR: Lalegül FM, Istanbul -88.40MHz - 2387km (1483 miles)

Here in Finland official record is: QAT: QBS Doha 90.3MHz, 19.7.2003 - 4699 km (2920miles) - Sporadic E
Janne / OH6-201 / KP22TF
RX: AirSpy HF+ / SDRPlay RSP1A
Ant: Loop on ground / MiniWhip / MegaLoop MLA-30+

oly1959

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 0150 UTC »
Hi Pirate Hunter. Seen your post on farthest station heard and living up here in Central Mn, back in my FM DX days in the 1980's, had a Carver TX-11 hooked to a Channel Master Stereo Probe 9 FM antenna. RX'ed stations all over the lower states including Mexico but the one that was confirmed was WBJW in Orlando at 105.1. Call the station and got on air and shocked the heck out of all of them at the station! Got all sorts of stuff from them including a QSL and a WBJW license plate. Still have the antenna but the Carver was stolen. Thinking next summer putting the old antenna and finding a Carver tuner again and start back up the FM dx'ing. ;D

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: What is the farthest station heard? How about this one?
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 1623 UTC »
        When FM station WJQZ Wellsville, NY received their construction permit for 93.5FM, on-air testing started right during the 1985 summer Sporadic "E" season. And two of the DJ's and one of the station's co-owners said that they had a QSL request from Egypt! No, not Egypt, NY either. I certainly remember them doing this testing. I'd be driving around and they would play a Top 40 tune, then live announce, "Conducting tests, conducting tests only. WJQZ Wellsville.", after every tune. They did this for a few months before officially going on-air January 1986. But anyway, with them doing an actual legal ID after every test song, during a Sporadic "E" condition, that QSL claim from Egypt is certainly plausible. Pity, that stations don't do tests like that anymore. They just come on-air, feed satellite programing and roll with that.
        And, Bruce Elving FM books are still invaluable. I'm keeping mine. I'd buy up his Toko 110KHz IF filters and put them in AM / FM walkmans, car stereos, home receivers, etc. I still have them in a GE Super Radio, a Sangean ATS-803A, my Bose Accoustic Wave System, and a 1990 Radio Crap headphone radio. When you did that to car stereos, they were a FM DX machine. That headphone radio was unreal and I could walk around listening to FM stations from Toronto, ON, Canada near the PA border. Sadly, that was ripped-off from me.  Ahhhhh, the DX memories.     
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Jordan_Pirate_Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 2140 UTC »
There is a guy from Northern Ireland who lives towards the atlantic side who has picked up stations from the Boston area! Stupidly long hops with sporadic e. He has the QSL letters and audio on youtube!

I was watching his logs during the summer he was getting St Petersburg!

My furtherest has been 30 seconds of spain on the Sony ICF 2001D's antenna.
Perseus SDR - 800m Beverage Antenna - Remote QTH Finland

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns