We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Building an RF Noise Generator For Testing Filters  (Read 2244 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Building an RF Noise Generator For Testing Filters
« on: August 30, 2016, 2154 UTC »
It’s often handy to have an RF noise generator when testing various circuits, especially filters. I was working on a low pass filter for long wave, and wanted a way to measure the performance of the filter.

This is the noise generator I came up with. It’s a fairly simple circuit: http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=1884
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
Re: Building an RF Noise Generator For Testing Filters
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 1533 UTC »
Hey Chris,

Oh, I didn't knew that Z-Diodes produce that much noise as well.

I've build such, too but used a BC547. Basically with C left open, B connected to the Amp stage and E being fed with a tiny current. Actually, it's the voltage level that get's the thing going. The key is to bias the Diode section (whether it may be an actual diode or transistor) in reverse direction until it hits the breakdown limit. What produces the noise is actually thd "current jumping over the barrier". Since this happens not on a constant level but in small peaks it'll produce that broadband white noise.

Funny fact: couple the outputs of two noise generators and hook them up to your home PA. The signal you'll get sounds like you're at the beach of the sea, with waves rushing in again and again. :)

Kind gereetings,
~Zazzle.
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns