We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID Time interval station on 10000 khz- voice and tone every 10 seconds  (Read 3847 times)

Offline modrachlan

• View Profile
    • Email
Heard this station mixed in with WWV tonight. I have found a listing of other time interval stations at 10000 khz, but I can't quite hear what the announcer is saying. Does anyone know which time station broadcasts a voice announcement and beep every 10 seconds?
Jefferson City, MO -- Sony ICF-2010 and Sony ICF-SW7600G -- Wellbrook ALA-1530S and Sony AN-LP1

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
I'm only hearing WWV and WWVH mixed (normal for me for this time), but no extra voice/tone every 10 seconds. Can you make a recording and share it?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline modrachlan

• View Profile
    • Email
Yes, I did make a recording. I'll find the best bit and share it.
Jefferson City, MO -- Sony ICF-2010 and Sony ICF-SW7600G -- Wellbrook ALA-1530S and Sony AN-LP1

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
This was most likely Italycable, a time station from Italy.  It has several different formats it uses, and one of them is a time tick every 10 sec with voice.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline modrachlan

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok, here it is, I hope this works:

https://soundcloud.com/user128328130/unid-time-interval-station

At about the nine minute mark it gets more distinct for a minute or so- almost enough to make out the announcement. Too much noise.

Offline modrachlan

• View Profile
    • Email
This was most likely Italycable, a time station from Italy.  It has several different formats it uses, and one of them is a time tick every 10 sec with voice.

T!

Cool! I had not read anything about that one!

The location does not surprise me, Hellenikia Radiophonia has been booming in the US midwest on three different frequencies.

Offline modrachlan

• View Profile
    • Email
Good to know! Thank you, I've heard something new tonight. Fun stuff.  :)

Offline prldx

• View Profile
Hi guys !

This is PPE Observatorio Nacional from Brazil. They have time pips and announcements every 10 seconds.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8cm3pxpg6cxhvo/PPE%20Observatorio%20Nacional_10000_070712_2201.MP3?dl=0

Italcable is retransmitting the INRIM time signal (Descripzion at http://rime.inrim.it/labtf/src/) from 52-00 seconds of every minute followed by a time announce and then playing music for the rest of the minute. They never had any other format.

Patrick
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 0847 UTC by prldx »
Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other people´s voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
my bad, prldx is certainly correct.

Interesting, because at the time I was writing my response I was listening to Italcable on the Twente SDR, and there was a time tick and voice ever 10 seconds.  I heard the data on the 52 second mark and the second ticks after that to the 00 (with the gap on 59), followed by voice and 10 second time ticks, in USB only.  Because the 10 sec time tics and the normal Italcable were both USB I thought that was the source, now I assume you are correct on the source, and I was actually hearing both stations on that remote.

I knew that was not the normal format for Italcable, but they have played with several formats (including a 10 second announce in the past) I just assumed they were now using this one, Italcable has had different formats, including sending SSTV during the minute.

(edit)  Found the picture, here is what Italcable was sending for SSTV:

T!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 1417 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline modrachlan

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys !

This is PPE Observatorio Nacional from Brazil. They have time pips and announcements every 10 seconds.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8cm3pxpg6cxhvo/PPE%20Observatorio%20Nacional_10000_070712_2201.MP3?dl=0

This is definitely it. thank you! Good to know.

Offline HulkSmash

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID Time interval station on 10000 khz- voice and tone every 10 seconds
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 2240 UTC »
I was hearing this last night. Good to know what it is. Thanks for the information.

-Mike
QSLs Appreciated! Send to: HulkSmashRadio@gmail.com

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID Time interval station on 10000 khz- voice and tone every 10 seconds
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 2356 UTC »
I'm picking up PPE Observatorio Nacional from Brazil.
Time pips every 10 sec. Spanish/Portuguese announcements.

0002 strange, I'm hearing digital data and music at times. Could
be the Italy station in there to.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 0004 UTC by flexoman61 »
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns