We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: If you live in Vermont, I know what you are listening to on MW tonight...  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email

So, there are 11 stations within Vermont, 6 stations just outside Vermont's borders (NY, MA, or NH), and 2 50k watt stations (1080 Hartford and 660 New York) blanketing the state that are broadcasting tonight's Red Sox/Yankee game in the Green Mountain State.  That's almost a station per resident  ;).

Yankee broadcast  http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/schedule/radio_affiliates.jsp
Red Sox Broadcast http://www.weei.com/weei/shows-schedules/red-sox-radio-network

Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think that tonight would be the perfect night for Big Papi to hit that one home run he needs to pass the immortal Mickey Mantle on the all time home run list....GO SOX!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

JoeFLIPS

Go Sox!  :)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Two words "Bucky Dent".    I think Jeter played more games in the Fenway infield than Papi, they should hold his retirement ceremony in the dug out.

2340z WVMT 620am (Burlington, VT) Excellent reception - Ellsbury flies out to right center to end top second inning.  5k watt station, 250+ miles away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 2347 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

JoeFLIPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odxcb0sIdt8

The 2004 American League Championship Series was the Major League Baseball playoff series to decide the American League champion for the 2004 season. It was played between the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, at Fenway Park and the original Yankee Stadium, from October 12 to 20, 2004. The Red Sox became the first, and still only, team in MLB history to lose the first three games and win the next four to win a seven-game series. The Red Sox, who had won the AL wild card, defeated the Anaheim Angels in the American League Division Series to reach the ALCS, while the Yankees, who had won the AL East with the best record in the AL, defeated the Minnesota Twins.
In Game 1, Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina pitched a perfect game through six innings, while the Red Sox recovered from an eight-run deficit to close within one run before the Yankees eventually won.[1] A home run by John Olerud helped the Yankees win Game 2. The Yankees gathered 22 hits in Game 3 on their way to an easy win.[2] The Yankees led Game 4 by one run in the ninth inning, but a steal of second base by Red Sox base runner Dave Roberts and a single by Bill Mueller off Yankees closer Mariano Rivera tied the game.[3] A home run by David Ortiz then won it for the Red Sox in extra innings. Ortiz also won Game 5 with a single in the fourteenth inning. Curt Schilling pitched seven innings in Game 6 for the Red Sox, during which time his sock became soaked in blood.[4] Game 7 featured the Red Sox paying back New York for their Game 3 blowout with a dominating performance on the road, anchored by Derek Lowe and bolstered by two Johnny Damon home runs, one a grand slam. David Ortiz was named the Most Valuable Player of the series.[5]

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 2353 UTC by JoeFLIPS »

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Let's go Yankees !
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

JoeFLIPS

American League
MLB standings

American League East American League Central American League West
#
Team
W
L
PCT
GB
HOME
AWAY
L10

Red Sox
-
42-32
39-32
5-5

Orioles
45-25
35-40
6-4

Blue Jays
42-32
37-34
3-7

Yankees
44-31
33-37
7-3

Rays
35-40
27-43
4-6

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email

I'm impressed by your baseball acumen, JoeFLIPS - but after nearly a century of heartache, it is understandable why these memories are burned into your soul.  Alas, the the Yankees have won far too many Championships for me to remember in such exacting detail.   ;)

JoeFLIPS

At least we can joke around with it CT Yankee, right?  ;D

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
At least Joe Flips was nice enough to leave out my favorite moment from the 2004 ALCS, A-rod knocking the ball out of the first baseman's hand in a futile attempt not to be called out. And the attendant irony, given that he was going to be traded from Texas to Boston before he ended up going to the Bronx.  ;D
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

JoeFLIPS

MDK2  ;D

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oh of course we can joke about it...my 40 year buddy from UVM has "Sox #1" on his Vermont License plate.  I had a very painful drive home from Hanover, NH on the Sunday of the collapse.  I was visiting my then frosh son for the weekend after seeing the Big Green lose to Holy Cross on Saturday.  My drive home (3 hours) aligned with Game 4 - ugh!  As you said, all in good fun!  Baseball got me into radio.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 0026 UTC by Ct Yankee »

JoeFLIPS

Yup it's all in good fun! The standings are still very close so we will see what happens come early October.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
I always thought this summed up the Red Sox-Yankee rivalry  :D
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

JoeFLIPS

LMAO Skippy  ;D  ;D