We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: K263AP is missing its tower  (Read 1815 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
K263AP is missing its tower
« on: September 17, 2016, 0111 UTC »
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101738002&formid=911&fac_num=148405

NORMAL OPERATION AT REDUCED POWER AND ANTENNA HEIGHT DUE TO THE FACT, DISCOVERED 8/24/2016, THAT SOMEONE HAS REMOVED OUR TOWER, AS WELL AS OTHER ANOMALIES AT THE SITE. STATION IS CURRENTLY TRANSMITTING FROM AN ADJACENT 8 METER TALL TREE WITH ERP OF 0.05 KW.
THIS SITUATION COULD CONTINUE FOR YET SEVERAL WEEKS OR MONTHS UNTIL EITHER WE DETERMINE EXACTLY WHO REMOVED THE TOWER, WHY, AND CAN SEEK ITS RETURN, OR TO INSTALL ANOTHER TOWER.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: K263AP is missing its tower
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 0418 UTC »
This has been going on all over the country. Junkies are driving out to translators, cutting the power and tearing the things apart to sell as scrap. As most of them are in hard to get to places, it's easy pickings for the metal thieves. Nothing but aluminum and copper, the scrappers dream.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 0513 UTC »
About ten years ago when the scrap prices of copper started going up, AM stations all over the country were noticing an increase in metal theft, usually from their ground systems.  The price of the scrap was far outweighed by the replacement costs, especially for directional stations.  Some went dark.

On the FM side of things, transmission line theft has been more of a problem with cable spools sitting around than cable in service.  Even though, aluminum hardline is becoming more common despite its seemingly higher rate of failure.

damn crack heads...

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 1347 UTC »
Now, now, let us not besmirch our fine crackheads. Most of this stuff happens out where heroin and pills and the drugs of choice.

Offline kcpr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 1656 UTC »
In my area the local meth monsters target of choice seems to be irrigation wells.  They seem to be lured by the sweet siren song of 600-800 ft of beautiful 8 ga copper. Some must not be too electrically savvy as occasionally they find their fried carcass near the wellhead .
they arent adverse to just taking diesel drive engines either as occasionally 1500 lb stationary engines dissapear  our crackheads if nothing else are industrious!  ;D ;D

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 2204 UTC »
This is a great reason to have high powered station as this problem would resolve itself.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 2348 UTC »
In my area the local meth monsters target of choice seems to be irrigation wells.  They seem to be lured by the sweet siren song of 600-800 ft of beautiful 8 ga copper. Some must not be too electrically savvy as occasionally they find their fried carcass near the wellhead .
they arent adverse to just taking diesel drive engines either as occasionally 1500 lb stationary engines dissapear  our crackheads if nothing else are industrious!  ;D ;D

They convert them to generators to power grow houses here. Pacific Gas and Electric had a helluva of time with growers stealing large solar panels they use on gas line stations used in the boonies for remote monitoring over the years for the same reason.

I remember a spike in copper prices back in the late 70's that had guys stealing miles of decades old insulated telegraph wire running along the right of ways of railroads out in the country. They'd sneak in at night and work in the dark. One problem, when electricity first came to the region, the power companies rented space on the telegraph poles to reach small communities along the line instead of putting up their own poles, it was cheaper to do it that way.

After a few decades most switched to their own poles as they secured right of ways, but in tight areas, such where the railroad ran along a bluff near the rivers, they still shared poles. If you were stealing wire in or around those sections you had to be very careful. It's tough to tell an electric line that might serve 30 or 40 houses from an old telegraph line in the dark. If they got crossed, which happened all the time, and the insulation had rubbed through, it was big trouble, too.

More than a few guys met their maker trying to steal wire that way. A guy I went through school with has been known as "Stump" since his nighttime encounter with a live line back in '79. He worked for guy who installed lines for the power company. He was the "expert" of that wire stealing crew. He scoped the telegraph line runs out when they were running the new wire on his day job. They stole tens of miles of that stuff for months before that faithful night. He was damned lucky the ladder flew out from under him when that jolt hit him causing him to convulse and plummet to the ground. That bunch were stealing it to be able to afford to inject their favorite drug, PCP. Bright boys.

Ol' Stump was as wild as they come and had been since he was little. When I was a safety patrol, I had post furthest from the school. My only job was to make sure the future Stump got from the corner to school, that was it. He would come rolling over to my spot from his Grandad's tavern about a half hour late, smoking his first cigarette of the day, and drinking a cup of coffee. What was going to tell him? His folks let him smoke at home and he bought them from the machine at Grandpa's place. The future Stump was 9 at the time. He and Keith Richards have to be related.