We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CJEU 1670 AM  (Read 1655 times)

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
CJEU 1670 AM
« on: September 19, 2016, 1359 UTC »
*Post is 2 days late as I am trying to broaden my horizons beyond the Pirate Relm*

On 9/18 at 0300 UTC while scanning between 1610 & 1710 AM I came across a station on 1670 AM playing some descent music with signals ranging from S1-S5. Listened for a while but was unable to get an I.D., although I did hear someone speaking a foreign language in between 2 of the songs.

A quick reference to 1670 AM I came up with KHPY in CA, KNRO in CA, WOZN in WI & WPLA in GA. I didn't think it was any of those and a fellow HFU member suggested it may be CJEU in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada.

I was able to confirm via a Facebook message to Radio Jeunesse, because their e-mail is not working, that it was in fact them based on the 5 songs I had heard. In the evening they play Pop Music as Radio Oxygène.

Roughly 340 air miles from Gatineau to New York City. Hoping to get them to send me a reception report.
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: CJEU 1670 AM
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 0444 UTC »
Nice catch!  :) 

I can't get CJEU here, as I've got WOZN The Zone (blah) as a local, and it is L-O-U-D!  Once caught CJEU when visiting family, however, trading places with a weaker-with-distance WOZN.  Hoping for a repeat snag the next time I'm out of the city.  If they do indeed QSL, let us eager listeners know?  :) 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns