We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Curious enhancement in the DGPS band this morning  (Read 2524 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Curious enhancement in the DGPS band this morning
« on: September 22, 2016, 0001 UTC »
This is very curious. i accidentally left my SDR recording the DGPS band all day today. I went back to check the recordings to see what was there. Just after 1500z, there was a short period where a bunch of stations came in:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Curious enhancement in the DGPS band this morning
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 1407 UTC »
I checked the SDR recording waterfall, and it seems this was a window with reduced background noise levels. Now to track down the offending QRM source...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 1548 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 1814 UTC »
Looking at the image around 1500z and seeing what was being reported, I'd have to say that those are very likely real reports and captures.

LW propagation is dominated to a great degree by conditions in the D layer of the ionosphere, and here there is a continuous dance between its ability to refract LF and its ability to absorb LF.  This can lead to some very surprising propagation.

Long haul DX at LF is indeed mainly a night time phenomenon.  Here a fully dark path between TX and RX is required, and the open window for reception of distant stations usually starts a couple of hours after the path has gone dark, and lasts until sunrise approximately.  I think most DXers would understand and agree with this.

During daylight hours, one can generally expect to hear only locals, and for typical domestic LF NDB power levels the range is generally 150 to 200 miles.  Again, no surprise here.  Here in Illinois, I generally hear NDBs from Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio with regularity.

A very surprising thing happens around local noon at the RX, however.  There appears to be a temporary change in the balance between the refractive and absorptive properties of the ionosphere which can dramatically extend the range of NDBs that can be heard.  Around 1800z plus or minus I have heard NDBs out to Nebraska, Texas, Pennsylvania, Quebec, and upper Ontario.  This is not something that would be expected, but is a phenomena with which most NDB DXers are familiar.  Taking a nooner bandscan is a very common thing.

I have seen some extreme loggings of LF NDBs which would really surprise most.  One which really made me do a double take was a log of CB 245 kHz- Cambridge Bay, Nunavut - last January.  The DXer was in Texas, and the range to Cambridge Bay was about 2600 miles.  IIRC, he had to use audio power averaging software over a couple minute capture to extract the call, but still...

Your caps around 1500z would be a couple of hours before local noon if I did my math correctly, but would still be believable.  The period between local SR and noon can have some very dynamic propagation conditions.

It makes me wonder.  I think Europe has more NAVTEX stations than DGPS, and I wonder if you could cap any TA NAVTEX in the morning period given your location?
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 2334 UTC »
The morning of the 18th September produced an outstanding opening on the NDB band in the period 1530-1700z with a number of Western Australian beacons very audible here (2,000 to 3,700kms).  I scored one new one out of it with KG Kalgoorlie WA on 287KHz 319-419 report for 2,722kms.  Other than that openings/conditions have been fair to poor. 

Would be interesting to know why the sudden path to Western Australia, beacons in South Australia were abnormally strong with LEC Leigh Creek on 287KHz for 1,216kms just a scrap under 10dB over nine report.  The path east to New Zealand was void so it was a western opening. 

Some good work there again Farley... :D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 1500 UTC »
Thanks, jFarley. I will try to run some daytime recordings, to see if I can better pin down exactly what is happening. I think there is some sort of local QRM source as well, and I could certainly be seeing a combination of QRM appearing and disappearing, as well as real propagation. I agree that these decodes are likely real.

As Murphy would have it, I am also suffering from the SDR-14 randomly leaving run mode. I am not sure if it is the SDR-14 itself, or the server app I run that makes it appear as a networked SDR, so I can use it with SdrDx. As a result, I did not get my usual overnight recording run last night, except for a few bits and pieces when I would manually start it recording again. I have the AFEDRI running now, and will try using that today and overnight (minus possibly moving it and the beverage to Europirate service this evening, if 48m conditions are as good as last night).
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns