We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: *&%#&! CFL Light Bulbs  (Read 3681 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
*&%#&! CFL Light Bulbs
« on: September 27, 2016, 1920 UTC »
For almost the past week, I had a horrible problem with QRM on the long wave band, particularly the DGPS band. The background noise level would increase several S units.

I used my Sony 7600G portable and went around the house, looking to see where the interference increased or decreased. (I first checked outside to verify that the strength decreased as I got further away from the house, to confirm the problem was here and not with a neighbor). I noticed that it would increase if I put the radio next to the wall were wiring ran, suggesting it was being conducted (and then radiated) by the AC wiring. It took a while, but this morning a finally found the culprit - a failing CFL bulb in the range hood in the kitchen (which is always on). I have many CFL bulbs in the house, and otherwise do not have problems with them causing RFI. This bulb apparently started to when it began to fail.

The offending bulb:

Here is a waterfall from the SDR, showing first the light switched off, then on, then off again. You can see the dramatic increase in the noise floor. Around 200 kHz, it was close to 20 dB.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 1924 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: *&%#&! CFL Light Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 2049 UTC »
Congrats!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 2353 UTC »
Ya, I have trouble with these peskie little bulbs every so often, as recently as August. Couldn't figure out what was hammering the low end of the broadcast band (actually more than just that portion). Guess what, one large fancy colored outdoor bulb on the garage  :P
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 1749 UTC »
I had one turn purple color on me... maybe too much mercury...  acted and sounded like  an old mercury vapor tube... kept it but I don't know why...  it's in a box well hidden from the Lady of the house.
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 0013 UTC »
I've seen enough of the cfl bases that burst into flame to never leave them on unless I'm right there with them. Most of them here seem to only create noise if the radio or antenna's within a few feet of the bulb.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 0116 UTC »
You said it Josh.

A lot of the cheap ones have inadequate vent holes for the ballast in the base. When they go, it can be spectacular. A lot of underage weed growers burn down the folk's house use the things in the back of their closets. Old wiring combined with poor ventilation and lots of poorly designed bulbs stuffed in a damp confined space, what could possibly go wrong?

Still, they're not as bad as the halogens in the torchiere lamp craze a couple of decades back. That was "How To Burn Your House Down:101".

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 0327 UTC »
I have none of those things as they are prohibited from my house. LED lamp, I have one and it seems acceptable. But those things are expensive (and they still pump out the heat).

I stocked up on incandescents a while back and should be good for quite a while. Not any worse than my tube radios.  Was listening to a National NC-183D tonight.

Minneapolis, MN

Nella F.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 2323 UTC »

There are several 2nd. hand stores within walking distance & those things are plentiful. As for the  above offender I say simply "Hammer! I repeat: Hammer!!"

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 1808 UTC »
You said it Josh.

A lot of the cheap ones have inadequate vent holes for the ballast in the base. When they go, it can be spectacular. A lot of underage weed growers burn down the folk's house use the things in the back of their closets. Old wiring combined with poor ventilation and lots of poorly designed bulbs stuffed in a damp confined space, what could possibly go wrong?

Still, they're not as bad as the halogens in the torchiere lamp craze a couple of decades back. That was "How To Burn Your House Down:101".

I loved my torchiere lamp! Yes it made some heat but it lit up the living room wonderfully. Also yes do not leave the room for a length of time with that thing on, Also I think it made rays that burnt my eyes. And don't hammer the bulb, it can be used as a neat rf sensor if you have a transmitter handy to excite it.

:D
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 1656 UTC »
Toss them like a handy Gran-aid into an enemies house then call the EPA on them...  It's called hazmat folks! No kidding, Never have CFL's where there are or might be children... sharp glass and mercury don't mix... the former hurts like all get out and the latter cause one to be a retard... ;-)  I otter know!  ::)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Nella F.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 2246 UTC »
Toss them like a handy Gran-aid into an enemies house then call the EPA on them...  It's called hazmat folks! No kidding, Never have CFL's where there are or might be children... sharp glass and mercury don't mix... the former hurts like all get out and the latter cause one to be a retard... ;-)  I otter know!  ::)

Just finished re-reading "No Commercial Potential", Frank relates how his dad brought home vials of Mercury!!! & he would hit the stuff (after pouring onto the floor)
with a Hammer! I repeat: a Hammer! He remembers dusty balls of mercury under his bed.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 1534 UTC »
Had a CFL that worked fine... Except it was plastering the AM band with the worst electrical AC hash imaginable from 680 khz or so all the way down to the bottom of the band.

I took a portable digital SW-AM-FM radio around the house and finally found it, almost by accident. Finally, in frustration, I began switching off lights and circuits in the house.

It was one of my porch lights. From looking at it, you wouldn't know it was the culprit.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 1813 UTC »

Just finished re-reading "No Commercial Potential", Frank relates how his dad brought home vials of Mercury!!! & he would hit the stuff (after pouring onto the floor)
with a Hammer! I repeat: a Hammer! He remembers dusty balls of mercury under his bed.

We used to break the ends off of thermometers at school when I was a kid and watch the stuff roll back and forth on our desks. If you got cut doing it, the school nurse had good old mercurochrome to put on the cut.

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 2025 UTC »
Wow, i don't have those lights inside my room, they are just the normal ones.
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns