We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FM transmitter  (Read 6250 times)

Offline Shogun72

• View Profile
    • Email
FM transmitter
« on: October 03, 2016, 2221 UTC »
Anyone have a line on where to purchase a clean FM transmitter for less than $100? No cheep CZ crap. Had one of those and it bled all over the band. And burned up quick.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: FM transmitter
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 1544 UTC »
The CK stuff (is that China?) looks fine and making an LPF is simple enough.

Did you attach it to an antenna with a known impedance i.e. a good SWR?

Hmm..... ???
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 2245 UTC »
I'm still using my old Panaxis FME-500. Not sure what you'll find today under $100 quality wise.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 0143 UTC »
The CK stuff (is that China?) looks fine and making an LPF is simple enough.

Did you attach it to an antenna with a known impedance i.e. a good SWR?

Hmm..... ???

Two things Stretchy. One their QC is all over the place. You get 15-20 watts of FM stereo cheap, but you're buying a pig in a poke. They're notorious for going pfft early and often. Two, they sell the things as "plug and play". They're not. You're going to want to add an outboard filter in most cases and junk the two meter handy-talky antenna that comes screwed in the back as a start. Then you hope it still doesn't go pfft. As they attract a lot of first timers with their low prices and plug and play pitch they're basically screwing the unknowing with their claims.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 0630 UTC »
The first rig I built from plans on the internet.  It was a Veronica VFO thing, and it did drift alot.  This was about 15 years ago, total outlay for the parts was $40, made the board for it in Mom's sink (she wasn't real happy about that...)  I later moved up to a Harris MS-15 which served me well for many years.

Its too bad they want an arm/leg for old broadcast junk on ebay.  I'd rather see that stuff go to good use than in the landfill.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 0632 UTC »
Thanks Mr P!

Could someone point me towards a particular popular CK FM widget so I can take a look, not REALLY a market I'd like to get into (but you never know!).

I am, however, coming to the conclusion that I should build whatever folk want and have recently tapped into a new market of the LP MW bunch who want 1W I guess similar to your 100mW M.W. lot over in U.S.

Not sure how popular that is in the States?

And how popular if FM piracy in NYC?

???

Str.

'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 1443 UTC »
...And how popular is FM piracy in NYC?
popular enough that for every commercial NYC FM station, there are 5 pirate NYC FM stations.
there are so many NYC FM pirates that there is competition between them, many of them transmit on top of each other in an effort to "block out" the other pirate, there are sometimes physical altercations between them over the little space available on the FM dial and who has the cheaper offer for advertisements and commercials.
however, it is extremely rare to find an FM pirate in NYC that is operating their equipment inside specifications that does not cause 1/2 power or more of the 2nd harmonics generated, deviation that exceeds 150Khz and generally sounding terrible overall with massive azimuth errors and background noise.
add to this that more than most of them are broadcasts that are directed at the large ethnic population (mostly in Brooklyn).
out of this huge mess of garbage, its very very unlikely that there is a "hobby" NYC FM pirate.
its not longer what it used to be years ago.

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 1456 UTC »
The first rig I built from plans on the internet.  It was a Veronica VFO thing, and it did drift alot.  This was about 15 years ago, total outlay for the parts was $40, made the board for it in Mom's sink (she wasn't real happy about that...)  I later moved up to a Harris MS-15 which served me well for many years.

Its too bad they want an arm/leg for old broadcast junk on ebay.  I'd rather see that stuff go to good use than in the landfill.

+-RH
and the first one i built, was from a PLL synthesized FM broadcast radio receiver, i used a 12 volt car radio, they're easier to work on.
changing the PLL clock crystal to -100Khz to change even to odd.
tapping off the IF local oscillator mixer as the RF generator.
adding a RF LPF filter and adding modulation.
part 15 with no amplifiers added.
takes all but 30 minutes to modify and build.
built mine into a metal lunch box with a DC power jack, antenna jack and audio jack on the outside and a small stage amp inside that brought the RF power to 1 watt.
i eventually sold it to another pirate enthusiast for $100 who promptly ended the life of the device with magic smoke shortly afterwards   ;D

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 2151 UTC »

And how popular if FM piracy in NYC?

???

Str.

Enough that they made it felony offense a few years back.

I can't say that I blame the powers that be. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a holding pattern in the crowded skies of greater NYC with all those crap transmitters throwing spurs across the air band.

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 2101 UTC »
I suggest a BW Broadcast TX1  10 mw transmitter It's my main transmitter now and with a good antenna with some elevation you should get around 1/4 to 1/2 mile with a good receiver or car radio.   If your thinking about something bigger you better have a full air chain and the technical knowledge of how the keep you modulation very tight and in band or the knock on the door is just a matter of time. 

tAC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 0159 UTC »
For many items- & options
Check:

http://www.veronica-kits.co.uk/

Andre
CoolAM Radio
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 0243 UTC »
As of May 2016, there were more pirate than licensed FMs in NYC Metro MTA

Extensive article http://diymedia.net/ny-broadcasters-try-quantifying-pirates/8361

Awesome 103 page report with maps, tables, pictures, addresses & ERPs
http://diymedia.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Pirate-2016-study-final-pdf.pdf

I find it all fascinating, especially having grown up in NY-metro...

Rafman
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 0301 UTC by Rafman »
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm