We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID station, Russian language, data transmission  (Read 3224 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
UNID station, Russian language, data transmission
« on: September 25, 2016, 1656 UTC »
South Korean SWLer Moomin posted this to his youtube channel a few days ago wondering what it was. The closest I could come up with, is that this frequency was listed in N&O newsletter # 200 as a frequency used by M32a, a Russian Navy station. The designation M32a would indicate a morse code station, but this obviously is not CW.

Anyway, your sleuthing is welcome and if you think you know what it is, please comment on the video itself as well as here. Moomin is interested in an English translation of what the Russian OM is saying, if anyone reading this can speak the language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiN8S_-qvko

7936 kHz
22 September 2016
1313z
QTH: Gyeonggi-do, Siheung-si, South Korea. I believe he uses SDRPlay and his antenna is a 303WA-2 MF/HF.

EDIT: It does sound a lot like 29B6 'Kontayner' OTH Radar per sididwiki. I'm not expert enough to call it, however.
EDIT 2: per quick discussion with Token on the pirate chat, it's a Russian OFDM modem.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 1447 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
Re: UNID station, Russian language, data transmission
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 2023 UTC »
Hello.

The language on the clip is NOT Russian. Sounds rather Scandinavian for me (very tentatively). It's too hard to recognize exactly by 2-4 words. May be Swedish or Norwegian members could confirm or refute.
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 1634 UTC »
EDIT 2: per quick discussion with Token on the pirate chat, it's a Russian OFDM modem.

What I said in chat was that IF it was Russian it was probably some kind of OFDM, however I had not yet had time to look at the signal in software, and I was bothered by the apparent Doppler tone on the wrong side of the data.  The Russian systems typically put the Doppler tone above the data, say around 3300 Hz, this one apparently has a Doppler tone (judging by ear) below the data.

I still have not had a chance to look at the signal in detail, however I did get a chance to grab a histogram.  I am pretty sure this signal is not a Russian modem, but rather it is MIL-STD 188-110 A/B Appen B, possibly in 39 x 44.44 Bd QPSK or some signal based on that system.  Several people (including the Chinese) have come out with modifications to that format that can be hard to discern from the original.

(edit)  I have looked closer at this signal, and yes, it is either MIL-STD 188-110A Appendix B, 39 tone, or one of the many slightly modified versions of that signal in use by multiple sources.  The Bulgarians are known to use a version very similar to this, however I have not heard Bulgarians on that particular frequency.

T!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 0258 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 2233 UTC »
Comments are most welcome on the youtube link itself, for those inclined to share their insights directly with "Moomin."
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns