We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: World Series 1100am WTAM 670am WSCR 2350 UTC 25 OCT 2016 Best coverage ever  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
WTAM coming in good, WSCR faint and just over a Spanish station but it should improve here over time

2350z Pre-game talk on both stations
0050z WSCR now coming in very well  "Bottom of second, left hander delivers ball three"

So, this year's match up of the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians will make World Series radio history.  Both team's flagship radio station will be available over the widest area and to the greatest number of people.  Keeping in mind that night time is the best propagation time and the first night time World Series game was in 1971. WSCR 670am Chicago and WTAM 1100am Cleveland overlap reception from most of the east coast to central Kansas (from a website previously posted by MDK2).

http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_nighttime/N-map_1100KHz.html  

http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_nighttime/N-map_670KHz.html

The World Series that previous had the best dual flagship coverage was the 1987 pairing between the St. Louis Cardinals (KMOX) and Minnesota Twins (WCCO) which overlapped to Denver but WCCO can't be heard along most of the densely populated areas on the east coast.  The 2006 St. Louis Cardinal/Detroit Tiger match up could have been the ultimate in dual flagship reception.  However, the Tigers departed WJR a half dozen years earlier for WXYT which has far more limited geographic coverage.

Let me suggest WTAM and Mr. Hamilton from the corner of "Ontario and Car-NAY-gie"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 0054 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email

Both stations coming in excellent here tonight, the best of the three games to date - but no storms between here and there tonight.

2255z Pre-game analysis by 2 OM's on each station.  WTAM starting to give line ups.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
WTAM is always like a local after dark, year 'round. WSCR has been owned by the Cuban on 670 here much of the static season, but has been doing well through the playoffs and series. The Goat must want coverage to be loud and clear when he exacts his revenge. Hear him "bah", Cubs fans, hear him "bah"!

One complaint, the Cleveland games have been so crowded it's tough to pick out George Zeller and Chief Wahoo exhorting the Indian faithful to victory on TV.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email

11/2  0010  Hamilton "71 degrees here at the corner of Carnegie & Ontario"
0013z "First home run given up by Tomlin in post season"

If the Yanks and/or Mets can't be in the Series, I root for the teams that I can DX - not often I can pull both in.  Cards/Sox and Yanks/Phils were the last pair.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 0021 UTC by Ct Yankee »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Someone fire up the pit, it's time to roast the goat.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns