We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Internet anywhere via shortwave  (Read 2982 times)

Fansome

Internet anywhere via shortwave
« on: October 31, 2016, 2014 UTC »
 This Finnish startup has a solution to provide internet anywhere - and just raised $10 million in series A funding

Vilhelm Carlström 27 Oct 2016 5:49 PM 1392

KNL Networks, based in Oulu, Finland, has been in stealth mode during the past four years while developing a revolutionizing system that enables internet connection anywhere in the world – even in the middle of the Pacific Ocean – without using expensive satellite systems.

Today, KNL announced the completion of its series A funding round. The funding amounted to more than $10 million making it one of the biggest Nordic series A rounds. Creandum is the biggest investor.

“KNL has been extremely fortunate to have attracted continued interest from our Seed-level investors as well as visionary VCs and angels who have seen the tremendous capabilities offered by our technology. Like Facebook and Google, we see “Internet Anywhere” as a means to an end, and we believe our technology is ideally suited to making that happen in a wide range of industries, applications and geographies worldwide,” said Toni Linden, CEO of KNL.

Facebook and Google have been exploring the possibility of bringing internet to remote locations by relaying data through a network of balloons. KNL's technology, on the other hand, proposes the opposite: incredibly long range signals, by sending internet protocol over the radio.

KNL’s technology is already being used to provide robust internet connections to ships on the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, but can be used anywhere on the globe for many different applications. Amongst others, the company sees a future in the development of the Internet of Things and autonomous vessels, as the internet anywhere technology will enable live-streaming of data from the most extreme locations.

Such capabilities are currently only possible with satellite networks, which are very expensive to operate. Instead, KNL’s technology relies on shortwave radio transmissions, which can transmit data for thousands of kilometers, for a fraction of the cost of a satellite system. Accomplishing this has required the innovation of long-distance high frequency radio systems. In comparison with satellite internet, the radio technology offers the additional advantages of being easier to use, always on.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Internet anywhere via shortwave
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 2200 UTC »
I must admit a certain amount of apprehension as to what frequencies will be used and what it will sound like...will it be broadband like CODAR or OTHR? Lots of questions here....I have a bad feeling about this.... ???
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 2305 UTC »
"Internet anywhere, even the middle of the Pacific Ocean." That NRUI broadcast today wasn't an accident, Radio Al Fansome was relaying the old girl straight from Howland Island.

It's amazing what we can do with ten watts and daylight path at WRAF on forty meters. If we used one hundred watts we would probably cause an EMP event that would end civilization as we know it. It's our soft pretzel beam antennas, the empty internal spaces cause strange quantum effects on RF propagation. They're the flux capacitors of RF technology. Now to find a way to gull and pigeon proof them.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 2334 UTC »
Now to find a way to gull and pigeon proof them.

Why not tie or staple a bunch of coconut crabs to your pretzel beam antennas?  They should act as an effective deterrent for most trespassers.  The crabs don't absorb very much RF, and the little they do absorb will only help to increase their size.

Amelia was very fond of coconut crabs.  Or was it vice versa?  I can't remember the details.

Whatevs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 2335 UTC by jFarley »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Mr.ArchVile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 0020 UTC »
I've been thinking about a shortwave Internet modem.

They could take down those time standard beacons and convert them to Internet access points.

I just can't figure out how they would handle traffic because as I understand the bandwidth for shortwave is small.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 0046 UTC »
Hey, I've got crabs! I bet she would have liked me.

Now to find a way to gull and pigeon proof them.

Why not tie or staple a bunch of coconut crabs to your pretzel beam antennas?  They should act as an effective deterrent for most trespassers.  The crabs don't absorb very much RF, and the little they do absorb will only help to increase their size.

Amelia was very fond of coconut crabs.  Or was it vice versa?  I can't remember the details.

Whatevs.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 2254 UTC »
Hey, I've got crabs! I bet she would have liked me.

QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 1640 UTC »
Here's some specs on the protocol, and it doesn't look good for us;
The main technical features include:

CNHF radio system
    Receiving the whole HF frequency band simultaneously
    Proprietary wide band ALE protocol
    Built-in cognitive engine, which manages the spectrum automatically
    Typical link establishment time less than 500ms
    Data rates: 700 – 153000 bit/s, selected automatically in the RTS – CTS handshake

FastALE communication software
    RTS – CTS handshake, 53ms each
    Link establishment time less than 500ms *
    Data rates: 900 – 14400 bit/s*
        selected automatically in the handshake
    Includes a network configuration tool
    Automatized frequency list generation
    Compatible with all legacy radios with PC control functionality and audio in/out
    (* 3rd party radio hardware limited)

surveillance sensor system
  Operating time with batteries up to 14 days
  Max. number of sensors in one sensor field 12
  Max. number of sensor fields controlled by one command post 8
  Time from detection to alert typically less than 10s.
  Distance from the command post to sensor field up to 600km

http://www.kyynel.net/public-safety-security-defense.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.