We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sony 7600....  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Sony 7600....
« on: December 03, 2016, 1934 UTC »
I'm in the market for a new portable and this one is currently at the top of the list. Three questions, can it handle a forty meter dipole w/o overloading, what are is effective bandwidths, and how well does it demodulate and lock on to ssb signals? Thanks!

Offline dxace1

• DXing Phenomena
  • Potomac MD
  • PLEASE eQSL to: dxace1@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sony 7600....
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 2042 UTC »
I have a SONY 7600 GR -- it has not seen much use in recent years,
and I have the originala box that came with it.  Email me at dxace1@gmail.com
if interested.
Dan in Potomac, MD (USA)  eQSL to:  dxace1@gmail.com

Receivers: Skanti R-8001, WJ 8718AMFP/8711A/8709/8712P, JRC NRD-630/301A/93, NRD-505/545/515, Drake R8/8B/SPR-4/R-7A, RFT EKD-515, ITT MacKay 3041A, McKay Dymek DR33-C6, AEG 1800/3, Racal RA-1792, Cubic 3280/2400, R&S EK-056/070/085/896/200, ICOM 71A/8500/8600/9000, Elad DuoR, AOR 7030, Lowe HF-250, Ten Tec RX-350, Yaesu FRG-8800/100, Collilns 51S-1

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 2208 UTC »
I have a 7600 and I'd trade it for a newer Tecsun in a heartbeat.  It won't overload with a dipole or longwire.  I am not thrilled with the sensitivity of mine.  SSB is a real pain requiring you move that little wheel to the exact tenth of a millimeter and usually still doesn't sound quite right no matter how much you fuss with it.  Wide bandwidth is fine for AM and SSB.  I can't stand to use narrow for anything.  Muddy as hell.
Strong AM and FM it rocks but what the hell use is that?

Offline DimBulb

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 2239 UTC »
It seems radios in the Tecsun line like the PL680 get lots of favorable reviews concerning how well they work on SSB - smooth tuning and good sound.

Nella F.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 2340 UTC »
"... I am not thrilled with the sensitivity of mine.  SSB is a real pain requiring you move that little wheel to the exact tenth of a millimeter and usually still doesn't sound quite right no matter how much you fuss with it.  Wide bandwidth is fine for AM and SSB.  I can't stand to use narrow for anything.  Muddy as hell... "

Same here 7600G.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 2352 UTC »
I had two 660s and they seem to have a spur around 1kc apart through the bands, dunno if the 880 has the same issue or not. Thusly, I'd head for a Sangean 909.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 0416 UTC »
I've had a Sangean 909, but it's a little big and pricey. I was more in the market for a smaller solid travel/camping performer to replace a Grundig G5 on it's last legs. I'm looking for something with a switch for lsb/usb, I'm tired of dealing with finicky BFO's like the G5's.

A lot of folks have been trying to steer me to the Kaito/Tecsun radios, but I've heard some bad things about their quality control over the years. Any comments?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 1633 UTC »
The qc is hit or miss on the ones I've had, and the reviews at eham and elsewhere sum it up similarly. Read the eham reviews on a prospective purchase, not for the stars but say if more than one reviewer speaks about the same issue, that device just might have some design/part issues and now you know about them.

The good points were its features, and by its I mean the 660. Lots of memories, rx's well enough, but the spur issue as well as having to readjust the bfo for each band is tedious and made me get rid of it, and yes while it has lsb and usb options you still end up "calibrating" the bfo wherever you go. If all you wanted was to listen to ambc/swbc with the synch on, it'll do that well enough if the spur is out of the way. Also, the filter curves were more of a outline of the old TR7 car, you remember those right? A wedge. They're close to the target but not close enough, maybe they'll release a model that doesn't have spurs, sawtooth filter passbands, and is accurately calibrated as to reference oscillator. If I could get another cheap I'd use it to dx ambc and swbc but leave the bfo modes alone.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 1635 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.