We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Can you use a High Gain Dual band 2m-70cm antenna for FM DX?  (Read 8218 times)

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
Hey guys here I go again for yet.... another question regarding antenna's. Anyways, I was wondering if a High Gain Dual Band Ham radio antenna for 2m-70cm's will work well for receiving on 88- 108 Mhz? I WILL NOT BE TRANSMITTING NOR BROADCASTING on this band, just want to see how wellit will receive on these frequencies. The antenna I am going to be using however for my Ham radio setup is a Diamond X700.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Can you use a High Gain Dual band 2m-70cm antenna for FM DX? Um, no.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 1817 UTC »
I have tried that as an experiment with both a Comet GP-15 tri-band antenna (6M / 2M / 440MHz.), years ago and then later with a discone antenna. On FM radio? It sucked. And, what local stations it did RX was plagued with multipath fuzz noise. The discone wasn't much better. maybe in a crowded, metro area it would be OK to do that, but for FM radio DX? Nope. Now, one thing that the CP-15 did do was RX analog TV CH2. Not well, but watchable.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
Re: Can you use a High Gain Dual band 2m-70cm antenna for FM DX?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 2211 UTC »
Hmm.... it's surprising that it would not do well... On how tall the antenna is and the gain aspect. But hey, I had great luck with the Discone when I used it for FMB believe it or not. I'll just give it a shot when i get the adapter and see how she performs, I will take your word on the "Not so great" RX.

Thanks for the help!

n0loh

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 2033 UTC »
Most directional antennas use quarter wavelength size elements. For FM that would be around 2.39 feet. A quarter wavelength for 2m is around 19 inches, so you're probably going to lose some metal to receive a signal. I have never used a pre-amplifier, but that might help with your dual band antenna.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 2037 UTC by n0loh »

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 0437 UTC »
Why don't you just get a real antenna for FM?  Or better yet, build one?  I'm sure a 40 meter vertical will also receive some FM and vhf signals, as will your 2m/440 antenna, but not well.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Duffer

• Liverpool, UK
  • NW England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 1409 UTC »
I notice Mirfield Electronics do a Quad Band 6m/4m/2m/70cm colinear  (ME64270)

It might perform slightly better on the FM broadcast band. 4m being 70MHz