We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: XM 5040 khz  (Read 2180 times)

Offline AlanC

• Sheffield UK
    • View Profile
XM 5040 khz
« on: December 09, 2016, 0820 UTC »
Strange unearthly feedback noise been there on this freq every day this week! 5040khz USB.
Cheers
Alan

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: XM 5040 khz
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 1547 UTC »
What time are you listening? I ask because Radio Habana Cuba is on that frequency every day 2200z to 0700z in AM mode.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline linkz

• French Alps
    • View Profile
    • utilities & digimodes by linkz
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 2133 UTC »
Hi

Those kind of signals do not need an enigma designator to me... but it's a different story..

It's 5042 LSB and i think it's close to FRA, ITA or SPA
It is just a TX site re-broadcasting its own signal, received remotely on his associated RX site (linked via microwave links or whatever)

I saw the noise produced on the LSB xmit last night, but tonight EU short skip is very bad, i almost not copying it at all from here
It re-broadcasts the 5040 AM carrier with a way higher signal strength, that prooves it's definitaly LSB (enhancing 2000Hz tone)

&linkz
Grenoble area, French Alps (JN25)
FDM-S2 / Perseus / JRC NRD-535 / R&S EK 070 / CSF RS560 / KiwiSDR / Codan 9360 / Codan NGT SR
Skywire horizontal loop / T6 LPDA / Wellbrook ALA1530LNP / Cushcraft R8
also listening HF from the mobile w/ Barrett 950 & whips
active on IRC (#wunclub)

Offline AlanC

• Sheffield UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 1207 UTC »
Hi linkz

That's really interesting, I'll wait until R Habana is on and have a listen. You're right they aren't enigma stuff.

To answer your question MDK2, I'm usually listening UK day or evenings so outside those hours :)

Cheers
Alan
Cheers
Alan

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 1646 UTC »
Those kind of signals do not need an enigma designator to me... but it's a different story..

These kinds of signals were just given an ENIGMA designator as an oddity signal.  Just an easy way to say something and everyone understand what was meant.  XM is the feedback sometimes called "backwards music" or "whales", XWP is CODAR radar, XSL is the Japanese Slot Machine, etc.  Most of these were assigned before the real source of a signal was known, so it was an oddity until the source was figured out.  As I understand it the "X" designators were originally meant to be used that way, but the practice of assigning those seems to have fallen by the wayside.  The last one I am aware of was XUP in 2010.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA