We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Tecsun S 2000 receiver (aka Grundig Satellite 750).  (Read 9940 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Tecsun S 2000 receiver (aka Grundig Satellite 750).
« on: December 15, 2016, 0557 UTC »
Looking to buy a good reliable bed side receiver (not for use in the shack) and have found the Tecsun S 2000 meets the size and frequency requirements.  

I do not expect huge results, otherwise I would buy an Icom or JRC receiver, just a small radio for the bed side radio that does a fair job.

So what do you people think of the Tecsun S 2000 AM/FM/SW/VHF receiver?  Especially receiving CW & SSB signals??

Currently using a Digitech AR-1748 (Jay Car Australia) AM/FM/SW/LW/VHF (air) which has a useless BFO for SSB, poor SW selectivity (with external wire antenna), poor LW reception (with external wire antenna).  Otherwise, it does very well on AM and is impressive on FM and does very well on VHF air band.  Also it's very heavy on battery usage.

Comments I have read via Google have many good points and some minor issues concerning this radio.

Honest comments please...Jack VK2XQ
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 0612 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Tecsun S 2000 receiver (aka Grundig Satellite 750).
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 1336 UTC »
I have this receiver as my primary rig (I'm a noob - last year at this time I wasn't even thinking of SWLing) and it's really nice. I have pulled in signals from all over with my homebrewed loop antennas (you will still want to use an external antenna of some sort for fair and poor signals). The SSB is really good. I initially found it hard to really zero in on weak signals, but that was mostly because I was a novice. I can really zero in quickly now. I'm not experienced enough to know how you'll like it for CW. It doesn't have a specific setting for it, which I understand would narrow the bandwidth considerably. It doesn't tune in steps smaller than one kHz, but I suppose the BFO serves that function? I do know that going through the CW portion of the ham bands can result in hearing several different CW transmissions at once, distinguishable only by tone.

I would say that my biggest critique is the BW filter, which only has two settings and which often leaves me wishing there was an intermediate setting. Also, I tend to set the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up to help with the audio. I do have some hearing trouble, so it may not be something you need to do if you get one.

Here's my youtube channel, full of short videos of what I've received with it. You'll find a number of pirates that transmitted in USB among them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTSsLJgVIl9Zx2njbBwIsLA/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

If you go to the Shortwave Broadcast board here on HFU, Daniel Wyllans in Brazil also posts lots of videos using his S2000.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 0200 UTC »
Went and purchased the Tecsun  S-2000 just over a week ago and I am reasonably pleased with the performance overall.  Cannot ask for commercial grade grade results from a radio just under $400 Australian?

The telescopic antenna works very well on FM band, heaps of stations, some up to nearly 200km away.  

The aviation VHF band is average, a discone or other external antenna will lift signals no doubt.

Pleased with the BFO and SSB mode. Also sounds good on CW reception via USB and BFO introduction.

Poor on shortwave and utility reception, 100% improvement with external long wire attached. Chinese power houses on SW have to be culled from splattering using "narrow" bandwidth.

Medium Wave is OK if you want to hear the stronger DX stations at night, the rotatable antenna on the top does work, pulls some stations up as much as three to four signal points.

Low Wave is virtually useless for NDB chasing, again, like MW, external antenna is the solution.

Annoying feature
is the radio drops all the prior frequencies used on each band if you turn it off at the power point, goes back to factory basic settings when turned back on.  

Same applies to the Memory Pages, had a number of frequencies stored to memory only to having them all wiped when radio turned off at power point.  Lithium back up for memory wouldn't have added much cost to the radio and spare the operator having to re enter everything again.

In essence, for a bed side radio it's great, for real serious DXing it's off to the trusty FT-1000D or FT-2000D.  

Would I recommend the Tecsun S-2000?  Yes, great for a beginner or someone on a budget wanting to get into the radio listening hobby. :D

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 0202 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 0304 UTC »
Annoying feature is the radio drops all the prior frequencies used on each band if you turn it off at the power point, goes back to factory basic settings when turned back on.  

I think I follow you here, but I'm going to describe a scenario just to be sure that I understand. If you were at, say, 7490 in the 41m band, and you tuned elsewhere (let's say 4835 in 60m) and turned the radio off while on that frequency... then later you turn the radio on, hit the SW button to go through the bands, it won't go straight to 7490 when you reach 41m? Because that will be saved on mine. You may need to be in USB or LSB if you're scanning the ham bands this way, and AM if you're scanning the broadcast ones. (I just went and double checked that, and it has remembered frequencies in the ham bands that I haven't visited in weeks.)

Anyway, as a recent convert to the hobby, I couldn't agree more. I got my feet wet with a Tecsun PL-600, which is a decent receiver (although I now wish I had spent a bit more on the 660, which appears to be superior in every way), but quickly found that I wanted something more, and this was the rig that did it.

I have one other question for you. I understand that the S2000 version of this has IF outputs, or have heard that it does. My Satellit 750 does not, so I was wondering if your S2000 does?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 0915 UTC »
This afternoon I was tuned to Melbourne Centre on 129.800MHz aviation VHF and turned the radio off at the power point.  Turned it back on 10 minutes later and it reverted back to 118.000MHz.  It only does this when you turn it off at the power point.  I don't like it running (clock screen stays on) when I am not at home. 

Loaded seven VHF aviation, three 8MHz marine, four 4MHz aviation, six shortwave stations and three medium stations into the memory and saved them.  Turned the radio off at the power point before I went out for the day.  Came home nine hours later and plugged the radio back into the power and after turning on found all the memory channels were blank.  Seems you must leave it plugged into the mains power with the power point switch on in order to save last frequencies tuned and memory storage.

Same applied to shortwave, I was last on All India Radio 13.695MHz AM, turned off at the power point when I retired for the night.  In the morning it had reverted back to the intro frequency when you first start it up.

Needs a small lithium battery back up for when power disconnected to retain memory channels at the very least.  Memory channels get wiped every time power is turned off at the power point.

There is a 455KHz AM IF outlet next to the two Line Out sockets at the rear of the radio which can be hooked to an amplifier or recorder.

There is also a Line In socket that allows an MP-3 player to be connected.

It sure beats sitting up at 0200hours in the morning here in winter, which gets to minus 4 degrees, to use the FT-2000D in the shack for utility DXing, much warmer in bed! 
Condobolin, NSW.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 1409 UTC »
I guess I don't know what it means to turn something off "at the power point." It's not a phrase I'm familiar with. Are you unplugging it from the wall outlet? If so, do you have batteries in it? I always have the four D batteries in mine in case I want to go out with it or move it about the house, or just listen to see if it helps to keep RFI out.

I will have to agree that if it loses its memory due to it have neither AC nor battery power, that's a flaw. I thought most electronics had some kind of built in battery just for memory these days.

It sounds like that IF outlet is unique to the S2000. So I guess there is a difference between the models. Most of what I've heard about the receivers is that the only difference is the label on the outside, but that's not entirely accurate.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of a winter storm with the temperature currently 7.5 F (about -14 C), which is actually warmer than it was predicted to be at this point in time.
Denver, CO.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 2303 UTC »
In Australia a "power point" is the source switch at the wall for 240 volt AC mains power to an appliance.  Three pin in Australia and I think two pin in USA?

I unplug everything from the power point except the refridgerator (cool box I think in America?) when I leave home for any considerable period as thunderstorms form here due to my elevation.  Power black outs and surges are common place in this area.

Antenna's are also unplugged due to high level of lightning strikes in this area too.   ::)

Condobolin, NSW.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 2337 UTC »
In Australia a "power point" is the source switch at the wall for 240 volt AC mains power to an appliance.  Three pin in Australia and I think two pin in USA?

I unplug everything from the power point except the refridgerator (cool box I think in America?) when I leave home for any considerable period as thunderstorms form here due to my elevation.  Power black outs and surges are common place in this area.

Antenna's are also unplugged due to high level of lightning strikes in this area too.   ::)

Got it. We just call those "outlets" here, and most are 110 or 120 V. The only 220 or 240 V outlet I have is for my electric clothes dryer. It has three prongs, but it's older. Newer ones have four prongs.

Refrigerator are refrigerators here too. Some old folks used to call them "ice boxes," but they were usually old enough to remember when they were actually cooled by large blocks of ice. I think all those folks have passed on by now. I haven't heard anyone call one an ice box for ages now.

Anyway, you should have a compartment for four "D" size batteries, unless that's something else that's a difference between the S2000 and the Satellit 750. I unplug mine a lot when I move it about the house, or take it outside when the weather is nice. I suppose I should ask if you use the same batteries in Australia as we do in America?
Denver, CO.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 0350 UTC »
All well and good now the cultural imbalance has been sorted.  I went to the USA in the mid 1980's, didn't like New York, weirdo element and nutters, wasn't keen on Chicago either, bit sterile.  

Simply loved San Fransisco, Sausalito, Sacramento and Carmel, heaps of sightseeing and fun.  Drove a 1975 Lincoln Continental rental car, top vehicle, heavy on the fuel though, covered some miles in California in that old lunker.

Los Angeles didn't do much for me either, although visiting the Queen Mary floating hotel at Long Beach and a tour right through the ship from top to bottom was a day well spent, radio shack on that ship and wheelhouse well worth the visit alone. Howard Hughes plane the Spruce Goose was another visit well worth the time, simply fascinating that.  As for Disneyland and Knots Berry Farm, thanks, but no thanks, didn't bother with them.

Met up with many amateur radio friends in each place along the way too, hospitality was second to none.

Yes, there is a battery compartment on the rear, may pop some discount shop batteries in it and see how long they last, even though the mains will be still plugged in. At least the memories will be retained.

Thinking of getting a discone to improve the aviation band reception on VHF a boost, what are you using on the VHF side for it?

Condobolin, NSW.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 0620 UTC »
Thinking of getting a discone to improve the aviation band reception on VHF a boost, what are you using on the VHF side for it?

Nothing at the moment. I live right under the path of aircraft making their approach to Denver International Airport (DEN) from the southwest, and also about 12 or 13 miles from a smaller regional airport (KAPA) so the built-in telescopic is fine for both. I don't get the full range of DEN frequencies (I think there are at least 30 different ones in use there and the airport has approaches from eight directions) but when I feel like listening to the southwest approach or control tower frequencies, they're easy to get. That whip is good for FM reception too. There are some things it can pull in that I can't hear when driving around town, for example. Getting a dedicated VHF antenna for those bands seems like overkill, at least in my location they would be. However I recently got an SDRplay with wideband reception, and I have a RA0SMS mini whip that I've been doing nothing with while I waffle about the best way to mount it. I need to get it up for the SDRplay. I'll be using coax with BNC connectors so it will work with the Satellit 750 as well.

My mother in law is from Perth. She still uses lots of Australian terms and slang even after 40+ years in America, but power point isn't one I've heard her use. Our family needs to go down and visit her relatives sometime in the next few years.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 0624 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 0823 UTC »
I am around 150kms from Sydney International Airport and it's on the lower side of the mountain some distance away so always hard to hear control but not the aircraft.  Have small airports near here, Bathurst, Mudgee and Parkes plus Richmond Air Force Base but you don't hear much from the military.

The discone will be the way, they are not cheap in price this way either.  Been told the Japanese made Diamond antenna discones are good value for money.

On SW and Utility DXing I use 310 feet of wire strung around the property in a "U" shape.  I run a feeder from the FT-2000D to the Tecsun and clip in to the top of the telecopic with an alligator clip, works very well.  Some of the big gut buster signals out of China on SW overload the Tecsun when the wire is hooked up but RF gain wind back or Ant Att function fix that.

Tecsun is totally useless on NDB Low Wave, need to buy the plug that fits into the front of the rotatable antenna on top of the set and put the wire in and see what happens.

Yes, I get a huge amount of FM stations here too being up high, one thing I like is the audio on FM from the Tecsun and the good speaker makes good listening on FM.

Do you find that on USB or LSB that the BFO seems to be on the verge of distortion when pulling in very strong signals?

Have to remember the batteries on Monday when I go to town. It takes four "D" sized batteries.

Had any problems or gripes with yours so far?
Condobolin, NSW.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 1603 UTC »
I wish I had the room to put up a real long wire or some other such thing. I live in a 50s-built suburban neighborhood in SW Denver, which means that the yard is sizeable (new developments have yards the size of postcards these days), but there are the main power lines running right along our rear property line, one going along one side of it to a street light, and the one for our house bisecting the yard. The best I could do was run a wire attached at one end to our chimney, connect it to a strap on a little tree near my bedroom window (distance: 48 feet or 14.6 meters), then angle down to my bedroom window (distance unmeasured but I'd guess it was 20 feet or so). It was at best 15 feet above ground level. I had two of them break under the strain I was placing them to get them as straight as possible, which was too much when it was windy enough to blow the treetop around. So I've been using two loops I built for HF exclusively, excepting times for signals strong enough for the telescopic to catch.

That is a nice feature of this receiver - the 500 ohm wire antenna input. No need for a balun or unun. Just put a ground wire in the other slot and away you go.

Regarding your question about SSB. I was going to say that I don't believe I've gotten a signal strong enough to distort anything (the strongest utility station I can pick up is the Trenton Military Volmet, located near Toronto). I don't listen to hams too often, but it occurred to me that some of them are near me and have powerful transmitters. It's possible that there was minor distortion, but it's one of those things I don't tend to really notice unless it reaches a point of distraction. Other listeners might not ignore it the way I do. I put up with a pretty high noise floor as well, although after seeing Chris Smolinski's video about ferrite chokes, I think I'm going to try to get serious about doing what I can about that.

I agree abut the LW, although I'm highly inexperienced there. I have scanned the bands a few times, and the only thing I can ever hear is a nondirection beacon that sends out the letters AP in morse. It's located about 15 miles from my house, so that's not a surprise. But I do have to have the antenna rotated the right way to catch it well. If I have it turned to be in line with the signal, it's gone. So actually that bar is impressive for nulling out unwanted signals. This is useful when listening to MW. I don't know if you're surrounding by thousands of stations across Australia the way I am here in the middle of North America, but I can do some minor MW DXing with just that bar. I suppose it's not true DXing, but it's better than the typical AM/FM radio for home or auto use can do.

I have some minor issues with it. The main tuning knob is somewhat off center, and I don't trust my level of handiness to try to take it off and fix it so that you don't see a wobble. It's a cosmetic issue anyway, and I worry more about doing damage that I couldn't fix and would affect the performance, or at least the ease of use if, say, I end up breaking the knob off. I also don't like the bandwidth settings, because wide is usually too wide except for very strong signals. So I generally keep it on narrow, with the resultant muddy sound. This is just on the shortwave band, as the other bands are all populated by nice strong local signals. Finally, I managed to pull out a section of the antenna when I was extending it once. So be careful there.

Overall, these are minor issues that I can live with. If I ever get a real rig, I might start to find this one wanting, but I've heard tons of signals from all over the world with just this and my homebrewed loops in an urban setting, and for all that I'm very happy with it.
Denver, CO.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 0031 UTC »
The tuning knob on the S-2000 is spot on, although I find it a bit sensitive unlike the big Yaesu, a fast/slow tune speed setting for the VFO would be a bonus, it has a good smooth feel as is on balance.  The telescopic antenna stays fully extended permanently this way, with an alligator clip on the top linked to the 310 feet of wire, when need be.

Best distance on the Low Wave NDB band during day time is 200 miles to Parkes PKS 242KHz and Dubbo DU on 251KHz, about the same distance, no doubt this would increase tenfold when I eventually find a plug to slot it into the connector on the rotatable set top.  I use the FT-2000D for the NDB's, best distance so far is about 3,600kms to Western Australia, at night New Zealand is common plus Norfolk and Lord Howe Island NDB's.  The NDB band here is very high is noise level too, makes it hard, plus hetrodyne and spurs from the powerful Medium Wave transmitters up the band. 

Medium Wave is not too bad here at night, New Zealand comes in strong and other stations from all around Australia.  Most of the Pacific Island nations have abandoned Medium Wave and are now on FM band or Digital so the rarer and exotic stations of the South Seas are a thing of the past.  The set does pretty well on Medium Wave at night in the Narrow band with setting and tuning steps at 1KHz.

Last March 2016 I logged JJY Time Signal on 60KHz for a distance of around 8,800kms around 0300hrs in the morning local time via the wire and FT-2000D, don't expect this effort from the S-2000 though! ::)

I find that using the Narrow bandwidth setting on Shortwave quite good listening wise and I use this setting in conjunction with the Bass and Treble knobs tuned to a comfortable listening position, give them a try, you may have to fiddle a bit but it's well worth the end result.

OK on the back yard situation, it's the same down in Sydney, huge two storey mansions set on blocks of land so small there is no room for children to play and only about three feet either side of the house to the bordering fence to the neighbours, thanks but no thanks for that type of living.  I don't worry about pulling the wire up tight, I let it sag in sections as it has more chance of not breaking when falling branches drop from the trees and the trees sway in the high winds I get here, plus large Cockatoo parrots sitting on it.

If you get the chance try and get a Yaesu FT-1000D base radio from the mid 1990's era, they are a great comms receiver and perform very well on the low bands.  I have one here but the receiver front end has gone, too lazy to fix it at the moment.  I bought it new in 1994 and it never gave an ounce of trouble until last March when I think a lightning surge nearby got into it via the wire.

I also find the noise level down on the lower bands on the S-2000, but then again, the FT-2000D is probably more sensitive and thus drags in more noise.  Might look into the 500 Ohm twin lead too.

Enjoy... ;D 
Condobolin, NSW.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 0550 UTC »
It sounds like you've got a very nice setup in a very good location. I'm interested in how well you like it. I've enjoyed the conversation. 73!
Denver, CO.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 0902 UTC »
I expected it sooner or later...a fault!  Basically I have never had any faith in products made in China within the electronics sphere. :P

Last few days when I turn the radio on and touch FM nothing happens, band dead.  Same happens if I was last tuned to FM before retiring and turn it on in the morning...nothing, dead.

However, if I go to MW or SW or VHF and then go back and touch the FM button all is back to normal. 

Knew a fault free run was too good to be true, what will be next? ???
Condobolin, NSW.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns