We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Question for SdrDx Users  (Read 3625 times)

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
Question for SdrDx Users
« on: December 10, 2016, 1831 UTC »
I'm using the Windows version, but I think this question isn't OS specific.

In the lower left corner is a window that after starting the software displays "AFEDRI-SDR Connected" - I'm using an AFEDRI SDR-Net. After selecting "Run" This windows displays "AFEDRI-SDR Running 120ppm MP=-4837".

Can someone explain what the "ppm" and "MP" mean and is there a certain value I should strive for?  The SDR is connected via ethernet.  I'm running Windows 10, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Kent
K5KNT

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Question for SdrDx Users
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 2056 UTC »
I am not 100% sure, but I think these are just status indicators, nothing you can change.  The first part is clear, it is connected to an AFEDRI-SDR.  I think the second part is drift in ppm based on temp, but I am not sure, at least mine seems to follow temp.  The third, the MP, I think is missed packets.  Mine always misses a bunch of packets on startup, so the number climbs when I light the thing off and then stops.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 2101 UTC »
Ideally, both should be as close to zero as possible. I usually see a ppm value of around 10 or so. I would worry more about the large MP (missed packets) value, especially if it is growing, which could indicate you have a networking problem causing a lot of lost data, or your machine is overtasked. Mine always reads zero.

You should have the SDR connected to a dedicated ethernet port on your computer, rather than the shared ethernet you use for your internet connection.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 2208 UTC »
Thanks for the replies. Following an uninstall along with cleaning out my registry, I just installed the latest version (2.17r). When I first start it, I'm getting a missed packet reading in the hundreds, but if I stop and restart then the Missed packets go to zero. the ppm reading begins around -90 now but drops to about -15 to -30 over time.

Chris - I only have one ethernet port on my computer, should I connect the SDR to the computer and then connect the computer to the internet via wifi?
K5KNT

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 2216 UTC »
You could give that a try, and see if it helps.  While I see Token reports missed packets when he first starts run mode, I have never encountered that here, either with the AFE822 nor the netSDR.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 2241 UTC »
Connecting the SDR directly to the computer's ethernet didn't work - the SDR was not recognized by the software.  I'm back to using it connected directly to my router.

Thanks for the help.

Kent
K5KNT

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 2243 UTC »
You probably need a crossover ethernet cable, if your computer's ethernet port doesn't have auto-detection and automatically switch.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 2245 UTC »
Would a new computer (2016 build) not have autodetection?  I'll try to get a crossover cable tomorrow and give that a try.
K5KNT

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 2250 UTC »
My Afedri behaves in exactly the same way.  Several missed packets on start-up.  If I click stop and then start, the missed packet count drops to zero.
Either way, I haven't noticed any sdr performance issues.

Even when starting up two instances of SDRdx with two Afedri's, I get the same behavior with the missed packets, so I tend to ignore the MP count.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 2300 UTC »
Would a new computer (2016 build) not have autodetection?  I'll try to get a crossover cable tomorrow and give that a try.

It should.

If you were plugging it into your router, then I would check if the network on that side of the router is different than your computer's ethernet port (quite likely since it is a router). If so, you will need to either change the address of the ethernet port, or the SDR, so they match.

Does the MP value continue to grow when the SDR is running? If not, it may not be an issue.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 2313 UTC »
Thanks Chris. Other than the fluctuating ppm numbers things seem to be working fine.  I don't think I'll mess with it for now.
K5KNT

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns