We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6900 KHz USB Spanish speakers  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
6900 KHz USB Spanish speakers
« on: December 24, 2016, 1645 UTC »
Good signal here. Possibly more than two stations. Sounds like casual chit chat but I don't speak the lingo
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Online R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: 6900 KHz USB Spanish speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 2313 UTC »
These guys are heard pretty often.  I've actually logged them switching between 6900 kHz USB band 6900 kHz LSB (often with another group of people having a QSO on the opposite sideband).

I know enough Spanish to get a general idea of what these guys are talking about.  I'm pretty sure they're not pescadores (fishermen, fishing fleets, "peskies", etc), but are in fact "freebanders" or "outbanders" operating below the 40 meter ham radio band. 

The 6800-7000 range is full of all sorts of Spanish and Portuguese language traffic, using both USB and LSB.  Seems like the fishing fleets mostly use LSB.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 0044 UTC »
I know enough Spanish to get a general idea of what these guys are talking about.  I'm pretty sure they're not pescadores (fishermen, fishing fleets, "peskies", etc), but are in fact "freebanders" or "outbanders" operating below the 40 meter ham radio band.  

The 6800-7000 range is full of all sorts of Spanish and Portuguese language traffic, using both USB and LSB.  Seems like the fishing fleets mostly use LSB.

It has become something of a habit to call Spanish or Portuguese language traffic in this area "Peskies" whether they are pescadores or not.  Often in the past such a name would be applied if you heard something like motor sounds in the background.  Today listeners looking for Pirate transmissions are often plagued with these guys, pescadores or not, they are a "pest" to the Pirate listeners, so they are a bit pesky, and so "Peskies".

The name Peskie should probably not be taken to apply only to pescedores.  I cannot speak for everyone, but for my part if you see me use the term "Peskie" I just mean SS / PP language traffic in this frequency range, if you see me use the term pescadore there was something in what they said or what I heard that made me think "fishermen".

T!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 0051 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Online R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 0450 UTC »
That's the way I approach it was well.  I prefer the term "freebanders" (taken from the 11 meter operators operating above 27405 kHz and/or below 26965 kHz).  There are endless examples of Spanish language operators using the chunk of spectrum from 27405 kHz to 28000 kHz (and, from time to time, above 28000 kHz...but I digress...).

But Token is right.  Many (most?) of the posters on HFU will refer to any Spanish/Portuguese speakers on these frequencies as "peskies" regardless of if they are fishermen or not.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns