We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ten tec omni d  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Laidbackdx

• Québec city canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ten tec omni d
« on: December 24, 2016, 1244 UTC »
Is this a good radio for dx on sale on e bay for 300 $
Please qsl to denismartin19621962@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Ten tec omni d
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 1457 UTC »
Anything Ten-Tech makes is superb unless it's been trashed by some knot-headed owner. You've got to be careful of that on the auction sites.

I'm not familiar with the Omni D.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 1522 UTC »
Anything Ten-Tech makes is superb unless it's been trashed by some knot-headed owner. You've got to be careful of that on the auction sites.

I read that as knob-headed.

Yes, Ten-Tech radios are considered to be excellent, as Pigmeat pointed out, the risk is that someone tried to re-align it.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 1621 UTC »
I think the Omni D is Ham Band Only (not general coverage), but not positive about that.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 1643 UTC »
Yes, on the transceive side (it is a transceiver) the Ten-tec Omni-D is ham band only, 160/80/40/15/10 meters and one AUX band you can make any band you want (buy installing a crystal).  It has an additional band that is receive only that covers 10000 kHz to 10500 kHz.

It is pretty typical of several of the radios designed in the 60's and 70's, and it presents each band as a 500 kHz slice.

As an entry level ham HF rig it is probably a pretty good deal, but as a listeners rig not so much, unless your primary listening goal is to hear hams as it covers very little spectrum outside the ham bands.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 0137 UTC »
I would shy away from any Ten Tech product now. My understanding is they have been purchased and are going through some transition pains. Unless you can do any required repairs yourself or know a third party that can. No personal experience but lots of chatter about this recently.
I hesitated to post this but wanted to share what I have been hearing.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry