We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ferrite Core 1, RFI 0  (Read 6272 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Ferrite Core 1, RFI 0
« on: December 27, 2016, 2153 UTC »
Once again, a giant ferrite toroid coil saves the day. I have a random wire antenna running into the basement workshop, and reception was horrible, I could barely hear anything, even SWBC stations. I considered that maybe it wasn't a lack of signal problem so much a signal to noise problem, so I located a large ferrite toroid coil from the junkbox, wrapped as many turns around it as I could (about a dozen), on the end at the radio, and voila, the noise/hash was gone.

I have these on the sky loop antenna feed, and should put one on the beverage. Actually, I think that's what this one was meant for. Guess I need to buy some more :)

It was a Fair-Rite 5943003801, 61 mm toroid, type 43 ferrite. I buy mine from Mouser for about $4 each: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/5943003801
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Online MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Ferrite Core 1, RFI 0
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 2156 UTC »
I wonder if these would help me with my lower frequency listening. You get a little way below 6 MHz and everything becomes staticky, regardless of atmospheric conditions, weather, etc. I've finally hypothesized that my suburban environment is to blame, but need a way to test it.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 2207 UTC »
Probably worth a try, especially at around $4 each (they seem to sell for more anywhere other than Mouser).  I noticed only one cheaper large ferrite toroid at Mouser,  a TDK core: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/EPCOS-TDK/B64290A0048X830/
It's not much less, but much larger in size, you could get a lot more turns on it. The composition is material N30, whatever that is. The AL value is 5500, vs 1075 for the type 43 Fair Rite core. Not sure how it would work for this application... paging jFarley to the Electromagnetics Courtesy Telephone...

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 2319 UTC »
Don't know nothing about N30, and never used it.  High mu mixes such as 43 and 77 work wonders at MW to lower HF in cleanup chokes.

At lower freqs, I have used a number of FT-140A-W for chokes and transformers, and I think this mix has worked a little better for me.  You can get a dozen turns of a USB cable through the aperture of this core.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 2332 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 0129 UTC »
I got a pile o' toroids from Amidon. I've tried them, but they don't help. Considering my loop, when rotated, changes RFI, I can pretty much say that my RFI is coming in from not the coax.

<rant>
Dear Power Company & Valued Neighbor - KNOCK IT OFF.
</rant>
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 1607 UTC »
You put a wire antenna around a ferrite core?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 1622 UTC »
Sorry, I should have been more clear, it's the coax cable that is wrapped around the core. Like this:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 1852 UTC »
Ah yes. Ferrite can do miracles.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 2228 UTC »
Here's a short before and after video, showing the improvement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZeJgI0mi5o&feature=youtu.be
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 0030 UTC »
That is very considerable improvement.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline curious george

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 1449 UTC »
John Bryant wrote an excellent article on the use of RF chokes to "sanitize" your coax:

http://www.dxing.info/equipment/coax_leadin_bryant.pdf

The article discusses different core materials, and provides equations on designing chokes for your frequency of interest.

I have a similar installation as Chris on all my coax lead-ins, except that I use a smaller FT-140 type J core and RG-174 coax.  The RG-174 coax is terminated on each end with a PL-259 connector.  I then use a female-female coax adaptor to connect the choke in  between the coax lead-in and my antenna switch.

It's a worthwhile experiment to see just how much unwanted signal your coax will pickup on it's own, with a short between the center and braid at the remote end.  In my case I found a significant improvement with only a single choke near my radio, as the choke outside at the antenna didn't make much of a difference.  Also, I didn't bother with the separate ground on the shield remote to the radio.

If you use coax as a lead-in for your longwire, you will also get a huge improvement if you use an RF matching isolation transformer to connect the coax to the longwire.  This is a lot easier to do than it sounds. John Bryant also wrote an article on this topic: http://www.dxing.info/equipment/impedance_matching_bryant.pdf

You can also use Minicircuits transformers to do the same thing, with no need to wind anything.  http://www.minicircuits.com/products/transformers_pic_a.shtml

Bruce Conti has an excellent tutorial on the construction of these isolation transformers.  I've built several for DXers using the Rubbermaid baby food container as the housing, and this made the difference between hearing mostly noise to actually logging some real DX.

http://www.bamlog.com/diyxfmr.htm

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 1845 UTC »
Thanks for the great links, Curious George!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 2341 UTC »
Excellent post, thanks Chris
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline MrMomB

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 0303 UTC »
The coax shield is acting as the other half of the antenna.  AC current needs 2 wires.  Attach the shield to some ground laid radials where it enters the shack.  Ideally one would want a single point ground which is bonded to the house AC mains at this location.  Most of my noise floor was lowered with counterpoise and bonding.  Ferrite was added icing on the cake.

Counterpoise, counterpoise, counterpoise...the other half of your antenna.  73
Western New York - Buffalo - Niagara Falls.
Radios: 2x-Kenwood TS-890, TS-590; Elecraft KX3+PX3, KPA500 KXPA100, K3; Icom IC-7100
Antennas:160 inv L, 80 inv L, 27' GP and assorted wire