We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Someone had Corsair II AM TX experience?  (Read 21109 times)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: Someone had Corsair II AM TX experience?
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2023, 1058 UTC »
Yeh and with 60W you can drive one of those valve things to generate KW's.

Unbelievable this design being published in 2012!

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2023, 1400 UTC »
Yeh and with 60W you can drive one of those valve things to generate KW's.

Str.

Settle down, it's 2023. I bet they've got one that will do 65 watts by now? And it's "yeah" not "yeh". "Yeh" is a noise you make when you're preparing to throw up, followed by "yeeackkk!"

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2023, 1659 UTC »
Nice one Pigster, on form as ever!

Trust you're super fine, all good here.

Whatever you do don't ever mention 6G, a particular non favourite at the moment.

😁

;)

Offline Intruder

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2023, 2136 UTC »

Str.

Well my final word on this matter! The reason it's still being published is the fact of being a learning aid (well for me). Yes it's old design but a circuit diagram that was shared and with many people who also tried to build them (some successful, some not) and people shared their experiences with it.

Having never really built anything like this before, it started with a circuit diagram that was published and some people comfirming that it worked and produced a signal that could be used and unlike some circuits I've spent many hours on that were found on the internet, once I had built never worked and were never going to due to design.

I was given details on a easy layout to follow when building it on a copper board that allowed me to change out components to experiment with. I gained a good understanding of the stages and picked up knowledge by speaking to others on many things like, test point to check when I found things weren't working or swapping out components to see if things improved or got worse.

Once I had "what I" believe is a working copper board layout I wanted to see if it was possible to make a PCB version. I have never used PCB software like this or had any prevous experiences so found it a challenge. I was able to produce a PCB with the help of someone and a few boards was made. Yes, at first it wasn't perfect but networking with others and them giving me their opinions and suggestions to try different things to make it sound better.  These things made small improvements but again these things didn't fully solve the some problems but after walking away from it for abit and a clearing my head I was able to spot something after looking at all the different variations of circuit designs that somethings were missing.

This latest PCB version I ordered to get made "to me" sounds alot better and produces a good output. No its can't be compared to a commerical broadcast transmitter but for the cost and through hole components that many people still enjoy to use and build with like me works fine. I'm not kitted out for surface mounted tech yet and yes it's the future but how many hobbist start out with SMD off the bat!

The whole time I've been mucking around with the Corsair it has taught me alot about circuits, fault finding, testing, PCB design to getting it manufactured and whats involved. I now appriecate the research & development that goes into projects and I have met some decent people along the way too. It's given me confidence to keep trying even when things fail.

Oh if your wondering here's the image of the Corsair and audio limiter/compressor PCB's. It will never get a true test as I don't have the equipment to carry that out but wanted to state what someone can achieve having very limited knowledge!

https://ibb.co/mtGDnnW

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 2210 UTC by Intruder »
DX-394 and PA0RDT mini whip antenna in the UK

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2023, 1531 UTC »
My only point being...

While it's 2012 why not publish a design that is up to (that) date?

Modern designs are usually far simpler and efficient especially in the world of electronic engineering. There's no room for nostalgia using old designs that weren't very good in the first place.

The world of engineering always moves forward, well it does for some and possibly not for others.

Engineering is my, hobby, job, trade and has been for over 40 years. I wouldn't be true to myself unless I tried to use the best design and components available whilst keeping costs reasonable and the size compact.

I think with most things I've made I've achieved that and will continue to do so.

I'm afraid things like through hole components just aren't used anymore in manufacturing. SMT is a piece of cake and Yes, I'm old, probably older than most and just use a magnifier.

Sure if your building one or two it doesn't really matter on the technology however when you build 100+ SMT is the only choice.

I guess the debate will always go on and on.

My fave being the ham chap who seem to be on a mission on my YouTube channel, most amusing..

I don't think I've done anything special but at least I've done something.

All GaN All SMT coming next  100W carrier wlth integrated modulator on a PCB the same size as the one you've shown.

There's loads of really good devices becoming available so no need to use valves, 11N90s or IRF510s anymore!!

Str.

https://imgur.com/a/4XvmiCv
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 1413 UTC by Stretchyman »

;)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns