We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Project #4 - RTTY Beacon  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
  • Longing for distant places
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Ask+via+PM
    • View Profile
Project #4 - RTTY Beacon
« on: January 06, 2017, 1016 UTC »
Hey!

Argh! There's this idea. It's stuck in my head. Since weeks. And it wants out. Okay. Here we go.

I'm running three CW Beacons by now. I wanna do something with RTTY because it's fun and allows "high" Data rates. It's also easy to build. I can use a PI-Zero, which makes it easy to collect data and send it. So, what to send?

First, I wanted to send such like temperature, humity and - if solar powered - Battery status.

But that one disasterous evening, a friend started to annoy me with 'yer mom'-jokes and I got the idea to store a biiig collection of those jokes on the PI, having it sending them in a loop.

The other idea would involve a GPRS-Modem. I could have the PI fetch E-Mails once a day and send it's text content. The Address would be public and anyone could send greetings and whatever. This sounds pretty much fun. But I need to think about the problem with the SIM card. Thanks to our politicians going nuts about Terrorism it isn't any longer possible to get an "anonymous SIM". Buying a prepaid card now requires to register it in the shop with your ID. Sucks. So I've to check the situation in countries around my own. Means that I've to pay roaming fees. I've to think about.

I'd like to have your feedback on that. :)

Kind greetings,
Zazzle
Trans-/Receivers: JRC NRD-525,  ICOM IC-R72,  YAESU VR-5000,  YAESU FT-897D
Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Project #4 - RTTY Beacon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 1533 UTC »
One suggestion - PSK31 is much more robust than RTTY. If you can use PSK31, I think you will be much better heard.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 1806 UTC »
Or jt9 if you really wanted to wring some dx out of it. That would prevent long messages and reduce the potential decodes to only those who run jt9, however. ROS and Olivia modes are good for dx too.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 1916 UTC »
PSK31 is fairly ubiquitous, and there's a huge number of decoders for it.

Now, if you want to have some fun... Hellschreiber  ;D

As long as you have a CPU, you can easily send multiple modes, and switch between them. Which might make for a nice experiment - which gets out better?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 1518 UTC »
Heyho,

thank for the input. I've to see whether I'll stick to RTTY (easy to build) or whether I go through the efforts of building a PSK31 modulation stage.

I'm still pondering about the frequency to use. I've to admit that I fancy 80m because of the exellent propagation. On the other hand, 80m is noisy with no end. The power it'll take to cross the ocea contradics with the idea to have it entirely powered by solar. Also, the Antenna (likely a Dipole again) is an issue. 80m band means ~20m on each end. The location only allows to put it ~3m above the ground (dry gound, I should mention).

I'll likely go with the 20m band instead.

Opinions? :)

Kind Greetings,
~Zazzle

Antennas: 80M Halfwave Dipole,  40m Inverted-V,  5/8λ Groundplane,  20M Longwire,  misc. UHF/VHF Scanner Antennas.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 1749 UTC »
It'd be keen to have a dual band beacon, 20m days, 40 or 80 nites.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Zazzle

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 0919 UTC »
It'd be keen to have a dual band beacon, 20m days, 40 or 80 nites.

Well, I already have beacons on 40m, 30m, 11m.