We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Two, or possibly three stations mixing on 1710 khz. 3:50-4:15 utc.  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
One sounds like a TIS station, a man and woman reading what sound like traffic/weather reports. As for the other two, I'm hearing late 20's jazz with one and bits of old radio shows with the other. The last is so faint it may be the same station. Heard OM with some announcements but couldn't make it out. Moderate fades but all were just barley audible.

Check 'em out. For all I know it could be my fatigued ears and mixing products?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Interesting, I will listen for it, have you heard it earlier in the evening? Almost sounds like Old Time Radio has started a MW outlet  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Well the TIS out of NJ has been on this freq for some time. I've also heard the old time music some time back. Could be an off-shoot of station W806 out of Chicago, who claims to no longer broadcast. Over the winter, I caught a few post on some of the other free-radio and Part15 forums about testing on 1710. One guy claimed he would be using a 10 watt amplifier. Well, who knows? I haven't caught any action on 1720, as I've listen there still when the noise level is low enough.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Anyone know the source of the Spanish language music that I occasionally hear on 1710?  Is Radio Celestial back?  What I've heard sounds like the music they used to play, but with a weaker signal.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Nope, but I've heard bits of it, too. I was wondering if it might be one of the Florida pirates I've read about? Extremely weak even on good nights, here.