We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Product Report: Tool Bench Hardware Wire Set 6 coils wire @ 33 feet for $1.00  (Read 2298 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Product Report: Tool Bench Hardware Wire Set 6 coils wire @ 33 feet for $1.00

It appears to be #22 wire shiny silver like color

2 coils at 33 feet wire red plastic insulation

2 coils at 33 feet wire black plastic insulation

2 coils at 33 feet wire of non-insulated 'buss wire'?

I'm laughing while I write this soooooo....  :D

Before I bought a package of this stuff I pulled out the magnet I keep in my pocket for testing such things and guess what?  Yep the magnet stuck to it...  Hmmmm  must be steel wire... can't be nickel because nickel is too damned expensive.

So when I got it home I took out my handy dandy ohm meter and guess what?  33 feet of this stuff equals 9.5 ohms.  Well now... That comes to 0.2878787878...  ohms per foot or 0.023989898... ohms per inch.

Let's see, I just tried my 16X eye loupe that hangs on a chain around my neck and took a peek at the inner core of the wire and it appears to be somewhat grainy.  Can't be too strong or dependable really.  Might have stress points and the like...

I guess I could use it for bag ties... or something like that.  Wire sculptures maybe...

But wait a minute...  9.5 ohms for 33 feet...  I could hook it to the output of an audio amp and place the stuff around the place where the walls meet the ceiling and I'd have an inductive radiator... all I would need is a simple receiver with a high inductance antenna coil and... taa dah!  an inductive radio station for that room.

Yea!!!! to hell with WiFi...

<sigh>

But that is too much work for little gain... ratts...

I could use it for meter shunts...

Now what I need to do is find out how much current this crappy wire will take so I might be able to use it for simple low current power resistors...  each one would have to be made to order and tolerance but...

Damned Chinese junk... more work than it's worth...  Most likely made from the bits and pieces of a melted down nuke power plant.  <sigh>  But if it is... does that mean I won't be able to make children any more?  Or I might glow in the dark...  I hope not, my Lady has problems enough with seeing me in the day time <big sigh>  Rattz

OK folks, this stuff is imported by:

Greenbrier International, Inc
500 Volvo Parkway
Chesapeake, VA  23320

Made in China of course.  Typical Dollar Store, Dollar Tree, All For A Dollar etc etc etc stuff...

Hope you enjoyed this first 'Product Report'

vgw

::)

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!