We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The hidden mag loop antenna  (Read 2551 times)

Offline radiozed

• View Profile
The hidden mag loop antenna
« on: January 12, 2017, 1601 UTC »
I've been off the air for awhile, but hope to get back up and running soon.  A couple of months back I was encouraged by an east coast report while running my ugly mag loop antenna at just 40 watts.  I decided to make something a little better, but was still stymied by HOA rules that forbid any sort of visible antennas.  While I know that mag loops can have decent performance on the ground, I also knew I could improve things if I could just get it up in the air just a bit.  But I needed it to be stealth enough that nosy nellies wouldn't ask too many questions.  Enter my version of the "stealth" mag loop:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Sx8UoqolwlOVJwaVd3MWZVS00

Just under 4' diameter, constructed of 3/4" copper pipe.  Haven't tried it on the air yet but my antenna analyzer likes it just fine.  It's enclosed in a plywood box that will be painted the same color as my house.  I figure I'll mount it 4-5' up on the side of the house (if my wife will let me).  If not, I'll mount it out on a large trellis in the backyard.  In either case it should blend in and not draw too much attention.  If anyone asks what it is I'll just say, "It's a wood box.  You've never seen one?"   ;D

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: The hidden mag loop antenna
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 1624 UTC »
Tell any nosy HOA nazis that it's a birdhouse with an invisible door.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 0245 UTC »
Could it work in your attic?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 0252 UTC »
I hope something works out for you Zed. I miss trying to listen for you !
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

Offline radiozed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 1528 UTC »
Could it work in your attic?

Unfortunately no.  I have a large two story house and my setup is downstairs.  I'd not only have to chase a couple hundred feet of coax to get up there, but the scuttle hole in to the attic isn't anywhere big enough to get a mag loop through.  Outside and concealed is about the only option I have. 

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 1743 UTC »
Put a flashing light on it and tell them it keeps the aliens away. They won't bother you any more.