We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Brother Stair on WBCQ, 9330 kHz  (Read 4950 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Brother Stair on WBCQ, 9330 kHz
« on: January 31, 2017, 1703 UTC »
This is interesting. I found Brother Stair on this frequency, and confirmed that it's WBCQ from it's telltale H3E signal that I observed on the Radio McRadioface Jersey Shore kiwiSDR. It's even listed on eibispace.de, but it's not on WBCQ's online schedule. Apparently he's on from 0330 to 2330 z, a block of transmission time similar to his broadcasts from WRMI. I was unaware that WBCQ broadcast anything on any of their frequencies outside of 2000-0500 UTC.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 1913 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brother Stair on WBCQ, 9930 kHz
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 1738 UTC »
9930 is WTWW, did ya mean 9330? That's WBCQs freq. Brother Scare is on both freqs though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 1745 UTC by flexoman61 »
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 1901 UTC »
Conditions were so bad last night I was hoping Ralph had gave up on shortwave, as I only heard him once scanning around.

I'll have to dig around, but Ralph and his followers have made into one cult watch site's, "Most likely to be the next Jonestown" list #1 spot a couple of times. When I heard of a shoot-out near Walterboro a couple of weeks back, I thought it was on.

If you've never lost family or a friend to loopy cult, you don't realize how dangerous they can be. I'm sure Tom Cruise's Dad thinks every day, "I didn't beat that boy enough when he was young."

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 1913 UTC »
9930 is WTWW, did ya mean 9330? That's WBCQs freq. Brother Scare is on both freqs though.

Yes, thank you. Updated.

Conditions were so bad last night I was hoping Ralph had gave up on shortwave, as I only heard him once scanning around.

I'll have to dig around, but Ralph and his followers have made into one cult watch site's, "Most likely to be the next Jonestown" list #1 spot a couple of times. When I heard of a shoot-out near Walterboro a couple of weeks back, I thought it was on.

If you've never lost family or a friend to loopy cult, you don't realize how dangerous they can be. I'm sure Tom Cruise's Dad thinks every day, "I didn't beat that boy enough when he was young."

I knew a guy named Pat who became a Hare Krishna, and later a Russian Orthodox Christian, but that's about as close to that as I've been. It was funny how that started, because some friends and I would go to the local Krishna temple every Sunday to listen to them preach, then eat some really good vegetarian Indian food. On one occasion - this was the only time out of dozens of visits over a couple of years - the guy doing the preaching asked this friend (who was only along with us once or twice) a direct question. They NEVER singled-out anyone at any other time that we went.

Oh, he was also straight edge, and right at the time one of straight edge's leading figures, Ray Cappo of Youth of Today, joined up, leading the way for hundreds of suburban jock kids to follow. Pat was one of the only ones I knew who did that. Most of my other straight edge friends turned into potheads within a year.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 1919 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brother Stair on WBCQ, 9330 kHz
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 2249 UTC »

I heard on World of Radio today that Brother Stair has essentially bought a 24/7 broadcasting block on WBCQ 9330.  This may bump some of the broadcasts on 9330 to 5130.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 2355 UTC »

I heard on World of Radio today that Brother Stair has essentially bought a 24/7 broadcasting block on WBCQ 9330.  This may bump some of the broadcasts on 9330 to 5130.

I have heard that as well. I hope it's not true, because Terry Blalock always makes me laugh and it's a good thing to tune in when the pirates aren't active. 5130 has always been a tough copy for me.
Denver, CO.

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 1231 UTC »
What isn't Brother Scare on these days?
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 1331 UTC »
WRMI 6855 used to be Brother Stair 24/7, but this morning I have been hearing other WRMI programming, all in Spanish.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 1533 UTC »
WRMI 6855 used to be Brother Stair 24/7, but this morning I have been hearing other WRMI programming, all in Spanish.

That has been true since WRMI and Stair cut his broadcasts on their transmitters way back. I'm guessing it's WRMI's doing, that even selling all that air time to him wasn't enough to pay all the bills. They shuffled other affected programming around.

BTW, I haven't noted anything at all on 9330 at night. Even checking eastern web SDR's, there's no carrier or anything there.
Denver, CO.

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 1543 UTC »
Quote from: MDK2
That has been true since WRMI and Stair cut his broadcasts on their transmitters way back. I'm guessing it's WRMI's doing, that even selling all that air time to him wasn't enough to pay all the bills. They shuffled other affected programming around.
i think it wasnt a matter of not being to get their bills paid since WRMI constructed an exclusive 24/7 transmitter at 6.855Mhz just for Philip Stair.
i think that Philip Stair (or someone else working for him) decided to stop using the 6.855Mhz transmitter, probably seeing to it that the coverage is pretty poor at 6.855Mhz when comparing it to other available frequencies and transmitters being used in different locations by other stations with their antenna beam azimuth in more favorable directions.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 1546 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 1643 UTC »
i think it wasnt a matter of not being to get their bills paid since WRMI constructed an exclusive 24/7 transmitter at 6.855Mhz just for Philip Stair.
i think that Philip Stair (or someone else working for him) decided to stop using the 6.855Mhz transmitter, probably seeing to it that the coverage is pretty poor at 6.855Mhz when comparing it to other available frequencies and transmitters being used in different locations by other stations with their antenna beam azimuth in more favorable directions.

It's all speculation anyway. Stair is still on 6855, just not around the clock.
Denver, CO.

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 1652 UTC »
It's all speculation anyway. Stair is still on 6855, just not around the clock.
ah ok, anyways, i really miss shortwave radio from the 70's & 80's (not intending to hi-jack the discussion thread)
i had this exact radio, the zenith trans-oceanic, it had great sound and excellent reception, those were the days nearly all of the bands were populated with a plethora with a variety of interesting stuff.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Transoceanic.jpg
imagine if they moved WRMI from 6915Khz to 6925Khz instead of 6855Khz ? :D
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 1835 UTC »
ah ok, anyways, i really miss shortwave radio from the 70's & 80's (not intending to hi-jack the discussion thread)
i had this exact radio, the zenith trans-oceanic, it had great sound and excellent reception, those were the days nearly all of the bands were populated with a plethora with a variety of interesting stuff.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Transoceanic.jpg
imagine if they moved WRMI from 6915Khz to 6925Khz instead of 6855Khz ? :D

I remember there was speculation that the FCC gave them 6915 to mess with pirates, before they were moved because they were interfering with MARS nets. I suppose if that had been the FCC's intent, they would have ended up at 6925 or 6950. Either way, it's a good thing that our unlicensed hobbyists have more spectrum to play with, isn't it?  ;D
Denver, CO.

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 1913 UTC »
I remember there was speculation that the FCC gave them 6915 to mess with pirates, before they were moved because they were interfering with MARS nets. I suppose if that had been the FCC's intent, they would have ended up at 6925 or 6950. Either way, it's a good thing that our unlicensed hobbyists have more spectrum to play with, isn't it?  ;D
yes it sure is, as long as we dont occupy a frequency and its bandwidth used, that is already occupied by another entity, and as long as we dont interfere with anyone and bother anyone, id say its all good then ;)
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns