We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Happy Groundhog Day!  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Happy Groundhog Day!
« on: February 02, 2017, 1541 UTC »
To one and all in honor of nature's most noble and prescient beast, the Groundhog. Huzzah!

Offline Bones

• NE Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Happy Groundhog Day!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 2222 UTC »
Groundhog stew tonight ;D

http://youtu.be/u0nr5MXmtGU
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 2237 UTC by Bones »
Kenwood TS-940SAT
Sony SW7600G
QTH: NE Florida

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 0106 UTC »
I had a great-Uncle who showed me how to make wooden box traps. They couldn't handle a raccoon, but rabbits, possums, and groundhogs were regular victims. I'd let the possums go, and keep the rabbits for the table. If I caught young groundhogs there was an old guy down the road that would take them. He would fatten them up on grain and table scraps. You'd have thought I'd brought him manna from heaven when I'd turn up with a young groundhog. I'd get few a during the warm months and he would have four or five he was always fattening up in these heavy chain link fence pens a couple of feet up off the ground.

He would cook those things in a crockpot until the meat fell off the bone and add his homemade bbq sauce. There would always be several of his pals up there for the feed. It was damned good grub.

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 1552 UTC »
:D Here comes Sally with a snicker and a grin,
groundhog gravy all over her chin... :D
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 1644 UTC »
I had a great-Uncle who showed me how to make wooden box traps. They couldn't handle a raccoon, but rabbits, possums, and groundhogs were regular victims. I'd let the possums go, and keep the rabbits for the table. If I caught young groundhogs there was an old guy down the road that would take them. He would fatten them up on grain and table scraps. You'd have thought I'd brought him manna from heaven when I'd turn up with a young groundhog. I'd get few a during the warm months and he would have four or five he was always fattening up in these heavy chain link fence pens a couple of feet up off the ground.

He would cook those things in a crockpot until the meat fell off the bone and add his homemade bbq sauce. There would always be several of his pals up there for the feed. It was damned good grub.

This should go on the meat page.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 1640 UTC »
In the coming 'pocalypse, I'm gonna trap and raise groundhogs and chinchillas to barter with. The hogs for food (for others, I'd rather eat grass) and the chinchillas for fun and profit like the comic book magazine back covers always touted.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.