We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Strange signal on 5174 kHz  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Freqs

• Chippewa Falls WI
    • View Profile
Strange signal on 5174 kHz
« on: February 02, 2017, 2114 UTC »
Hi All, my first post so I apologize if this is the in the wrong spot...

My friend in Minneapolis MN came across this and he can hear it day or night, I live in central Wisconsin and only heard it at night.
For me this was 02-Feb-2017 around 0300Z, but was pretty much anytime after sunset in to the evening. Probably be there this evening too.

Attached a screen shot and mp3 audio, the audio is really low so the volume might have to get cranked It's very cyclic and seems to recycle every 16 pulses.

Thanks!
--Alex

Offline Freqs

• Chippewa Falls WI
    • View Profile
Re: Strange signal on 5174 kHz
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 2249 UTC »
It's on right now as of 22:45z

I tune to 5174 kHz but from the waterfall it's just over 2kHz wide
--Alex

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Strange signal on 5174 kHz
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 1853 UTC »
This is LINK-11 CLEW, also called TADIL, MIL-STD 188-203-1A, and STANAG 5511.

Link 11 is a tactical data link used by NATO forces (mostly naval, including USCG and US Navy) that allows multiple platforms to share situational awareness.  For example one ship in a task group can have its radar active and tracking targets, and all of the ships in that task group can have the same track data without using their own radars.

Link-11 can unencrypted, but to be honest I don't think I have ever seen any that was.  In the military when we used Link 11 without encryption we called it Link 1, this is technically incorrect because Link 1 is actually something else, but it is what we called it anyway.

This could also be Link 22 as -22 is replacing -11, however I don't know how to tell them apart and there may be no way to tell them apart as -22 is supposed to be backwards compatible.

T!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 1857 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA