Author Topic: WCBS 880  (Read 868 times)

Josh

• View Profile
WCBS 880
« on: February 11, 2017, 1650 UTC »
1117Z (4:17pm local) 880AM WCBS loud and clear via Buick radio sitting in the work parking lot. Lol. I was kinda surprised at this one, it's about 820 miles distance and still hours of broad daylight left.

Ct Yankee

• DX Legend
  • Photo taken at Baseball HoF, Cooperstown, NY
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WCBS 880
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 2053 UTC »

This is the 50th anniversary of "Newsradio 88" (the station much older).  They have been pretty much straight news since the "Summer of Love".  Some exceptions have been a brief overnight music segment in the early 70's, the CBS Sports affiliate for major sporting events before WFAN, and the flagship station for the Yankees from 2002-2013.  They have an incredible signal, I picked them up in Bermuda once.
Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600 using 40 feet of copper wire. 
Durham, Connecticut  (rural setting, 15 miles from Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 1453 UTC »
It's a powerful station for sure. I tried 880 yesterday at around the same time only a few parking slots from where I was the day before, wich hardly matters to ambc reception, and there was nothing but splash from distant off-channel stations. On hf that day i noted there was some auroral hash so maybe the ionosphere was perturbed or something, or maybe my catch was a fluke, but I notice f layer starting to come in on ambc well before dusk, like at 3pm.

Pigmeat

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 2159 UTC »
They and WABC are always audible here starting in the mid-afternoon from mid fall to early spring. That's a good six hundred miles. There's a multi-ethnic station on 1680 in New Jersey that's nice and clear in the same time period and they only run 10 kW.

BTW, we don't have A&P's here to enhance the propagation of WABC. No doubt it would be 24/7 if we did.

Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 1713 UTC »
They put pallets and other crap in my fav parking spot!

Corporate's going to hear about this.

Chanter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 0415 UTC »
WCBS is usually quite loud here, with WABC only slightly weaker.  Often, though not always, Brandon, Manitoba is audible under WCBS, and occasionally above them.  Those nights are fun!  Once a couple years ago, I had Radio Progreso in the clear, with zero sign of New York.  I nearly fell over! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (currently down for maintenance) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Josh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 1634 UTC »
WCBS is usually quite loud here, with WABC only slightly weaker.  Often, though not always, Brandon, Manitoba is audible under WCBS, and occasionally above them.  Those nights are fun!  Once a couple years ago, I had Radio Progreso in the clear, with zero sign of New York.  I nearly fell over! 

Ya it's fun when the band goes long. That being said, I've not caught any euro ambc before, have to work on that.