We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: long ago...  (Read 2680 times)

Uncle John

long ago...
« on: February 16, 2017, 2031 UTC »
Back in '69 I managed to get shit-canned out of the Engineering Dept./P-3 division (CVA-63) & into S-2 Division & the aft galley. One evening I was looking for a snack & here is senior chief James D. Slade doin' some cookin' of what? "Pinto beans". I still remember his raspy response. (Dad liked...wait for it...Navy beans.)

1. Pick through/look for rocks, dirt, shit, etc.
2. Rinse off thoroughly with warm water, (not hot, not cold).
3. Put in container, fill with more water (cold) than needed to cover beans, place in refrigerator & leave over night.
4. The next day, add more water if needed, put on stove & allow to boil quickly then immediately turn thermostat to simmer. For @ least 3 hours.
5. Pay attention & stir often & add more water if needed.
6. Garlic cloves, cumin, & liquid smoke while they simmer. I like a bit of spaghetti sauce for more flavor. A Walla Walla sweet, too.
7. For those of you who insist on consuming our fellow warm blooded animals I suggest ham hocks.
7. Butane lighters @ the ready.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 2100 UTC by Uncle John »

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: long ago...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 0036 UTC »
Yes on the ham hocks. Pork fat rules. And serve with cornbread. If you cook your cornbread in a cast iron skillet (is there any other way?) line it with bacon prior to pouring the mix in. Mmmmmm
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Uncle John

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 0100 UTC »
Yes on the ham hocks. Pork fat rules. And serve with cornbread. If you cook your cornbread in a cast iron skillet (is there any other way?) line it with bacon prior to pouring the mix in. Mmmmmm

Ahhh Yes...Mom made The Best corn bread! With Lots of Butter. Thanks for the reminder. I just might do a little baking (if you get moi drift) 2nite!   8)

Hey...How are things @ the complete opposite end of the country?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 0105 UTC by Uncle John »

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 0244 UTC »
Things are good. 73 deg but cloudy so I missed seeing the ISS go over earlier. Maybe a bit of rain later tonight. The big news here is I worked a new country (for me) on 40 meters at 0204Z. Andorra, in the mountains on the border between Spain and France. I don't have a big antenna, only the HyGain vertical.  Run 3-400 watts to try to compensate for the antenna.
Be sure to try the bacon trick with the cornbread.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry