We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WWCR is currently on 7490 and drowning out WBCQ somethin' fierce  (Read 2237 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
I hope this goes QRT in time for the Radio Mi Amigo test broadcast at 0100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgGnlkW79oE
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: WWCR is currently on 7490 and drowning out WBCQ somethin' fierce
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 0323 UTC »
if WBCQ hadn't been off frequency, it probably wouldnt have been noticed.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 0333 UTC »

I was able to hear something underneath at times. I presume it was WBCQ but you're closer and in a better position to judge, I think.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 0633 UTC »

I was able to hear something underneath at times. I presume it was WBCQ but you're closer and in a better position to judge, I think.
ah, sorry, i totally misread the title of your post and messed up my reply to your post MDK.
after i watched your YT video a couple of times, i thought it was WBCQ in the recording with WWCR's heterodyne under it (due to WBCQ being a few hundred Hz off freq) since WBCQ plays the same talk content as WWCR.
now i understand, that was WWCR in the YT recording with WBCQ's heterodyne under it. (couldnt really see the spectrum detail in the YT video to determine who was who)
actually, despite poor receive using my TX antenna, i got the same thing you got in the YT video except that WWCR was much stronger than WBCQ since WBCQ skips right over me (not close enough for direct ground path) - the heterodyne was there but much much weaker.
WBCQ is the only USA station that is off freq by a few hundred Hz with their transmitters.
dont these guys communicate and work out some sort of airtime coordination to share 7490Khz ?
its not going to do any good when both of them are on the air at the same time, same freq but its happened many times in the past.
i know that 5130 was broadcasting for 4 straight days, day and night, on and off at varying power levels, with zero modulation.
im going to assume that you did not hear the radio mi amigo broadcast as well, i didnt.
i was going to check various online SDR's but didnt bother since i naturally assumed it would have been nothing but a heterodyne of a mess anyway.
it would have been great to hear radio mi amigo on a USA TX (other than religious yapping) but after tonights fiasco assuming RMA was monitoring it, who knows what will happen next.
on a side note, i browsed the SW bands for the better part of the work day today and all i could find was religious talk and the one lone UNID pirate that was playing "Cops".
its like the SWBC band has turned the other cheek to a vast deserted empty wasteland of static, not what i remember in the 80's and 90's.

5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 1521 UTC »
ah, sorry, i totally misread the title of your post and messed up my reply to your post MDK.
after i watched your YT video a couple of times, i thought it was WBCQ in the recording with WWCR's heterodyne under it (due to WBCQ being a few hundred Hz off freq) since WBCQ plays the same talk content as WWCR.
now i understand, that was WWCR in the YT recording with WBCQ's heterodyne under it. (couldnt really see the spectrum detail in the YT video to determine who was who)
actually, despite poor receive using my TX antenna, i got the same thing you got in the YT video except that WWCR was much stronger than WBCQ since WBCQ skips right over me (not close enough for direct ground path) - the heterodyne was there but much much weaker.
WBCQ is the only USA station that is off freq by a few hundred Hz with their transmitters.
dont these guys communicate and work out some sort of airtime coordination to share 7490Khz ?
its not going to do any good when both of them are on the air at the same time, same freq but its happened many times in the past.
i know that 5130 was broadcasting for 4 straight days, day and night, on and off at varying power levels, with zero modulation.
im going to assume that you did not hear the radio mi amigo broadcast as well, i didnt.
i was going to check various online SDR's but didnt bother since i naturally assumed it would have been nothing but a heterodyne of a mess anyway.
it would have been great to hear radio mi amigo on a USA TX (other than religious yapping) but after tonights fiasco assuming RMA was monitoring it, who knows what will happen next.
on a side note, i browsed the SW bands for the better part of the work day today and all i could find was religious talk and the one lone UNID pirate that was playing "Cops".
its like the SWBC band has turned the other cheek to a vast deserted empty wasteland of static, not what i remember in the 80's and 90's.

No problem. I had been called away to an unexpected celebration (my wife got a great job review that will give her a nice bonus and pay raise), but I turned on the SDR recorder and WWCR was on until 0220. Radio Mi Amigo was supposed to be on 0100-0200. I tried calling WWCR (they don't have an email address listed on their "contact us" page) but nobody answered. Anyway, when WWCR finally went QRT, there was no WBCQ underneath anymore. I didn't really try to find out how long they were on and when they might have gone QRT themselves, and deleted the recording so there's no going back to try to find it. I did email WBCQ and Allan Weiner emailed back saying that they would take it from there, but what that means is anyone's guess.

Radio Mi Amigo is supposed to have another relay via WBCQ, but it will be on 9330 at 2200z tomorrow, Saturday the 18th. They're trying to see if it's worth their while to broadcast here, and I'm afraid that they're going to decline after this. They probably should have contacted WRMI instead, although I can attest to the fact that their reduction in broadcasts has adversely affected us out west. I hope that they start putting more good stuff and less Brother Stair on the beams that come our way. 11580 is hit or miss out this way, and 6855 sounds worse than more low power pirate operating on the east coast.

EDIT: Not saying that east coast pirates have bad signals. I mean to say that since I'm so far away I can't hear many of them, and a lot of the ones I can hear are pretty weak. It's just a matter of distance and propagation, not the quality of the transmissions.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 1524 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.

Offline TheRelayStation

• View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 1556 UTC »
Quote from: MDK2
...my wife got a great job review that will give her a nice bonus and pay raise
congrats ! :)
...I tried calling WWCR (they don't have an email address listed on their "contact us" page) but nobody answered...I did email WBCQ and Allan Weiner emailed back saying that they would take it from there, but what that means is anyone's guess.
its the same thing when i had called Allan earlier in the week to alert him that 5130 was on the air with zero modulation for several days, his response was "oh really ? ill call the station and see whats going on over there...im in florida at the moment" - as of today, 5130 is still TX'ing on and off randomly with a silent carrier.
Radio Mi Amigo is supposed to have another relay via WBCQ, but it will be on 9330 at 2200z tomorrow, Saturday the 18th. They're trying to see if it's worth their while to broadcast here, and I'm afraid that they're going to decline after this. They probably should have contacted WRMI instead, although I can attest to the fact that their reduction in broadcasts has adversely affected us out west. I hope that they start putting more good stuff and less Brother Stair on the beams that come our way. 11580 is hit or miss out this way, and 6855 sounds worse than more low power pirate operating on the east coast.
after the death of radio australia on 1/31 and other SWBC stations before them, the SW bands are much more silent now than they ever were, something tells me that this is a negative trend that is surely and likely to continue as we move into the future, as more and more commercial SW operations that are left, are manned by "zombies" and operated autonomously. (thanks Chris for the zombie reference lol)
its kind of sad to me in a way because the SW bands have changed so drastically much in the last few decades.
as far as me, i enjoy playing music while at work during the week days and enjoy relaying any broadcast from anyone.
i especially enjoy listening to the content i relay, its unique, eclectic and interesting and theres nothing quite like listening to it over the SW bands.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 1612 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns