We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "A "Gash..."?  (Read 1381 times)

Uncle John

"A "Gash..."?
« on: February 21, 2017, 1928 UTC »
www.spaceweather.com (the "News for Feb. 19"). Anybody dumb this down for me? As far as the QRM sitcheeation hear/here? huh?

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "A "Gash..."?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 2251 UTC »
The "gash" they are referring to is called a "Coronal Hole". Wikipedia explains it well.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_hole
The solar crud thrown off by this recent "gash" should hit us on the 22nd-24th and will result in lousy propagation...fading, noise, etc.  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 2351 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Uncle John

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 2314 UTC »
                                               :o   Last "several months..."?! "Marvelous".   8)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 2221 UTC »
Wonder if any of that means 'auroral' conditions on Medium Wave over the next couple days....
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 0038 UTC »
www.spaceweather.com (the "News for Feb. 19"). Anybody dumb this down for me? As far as the QRM sitcheeation hear/here? huh?

Cool site, UJ. I just spent a whole lot of time there and probably will again.