We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Baseball 50,000 watt clear channel stations  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Baseball 50,000 watt clear channel stations
« on: February 26, 2017, 1455 UTC »
Season's Greetings :)!
To my knowledge, these are the 2017 50,000 watt clear channel stations carrying major league baseball in English this year.  There are other 50,000 watt stations but they are class B stations.  Please free feel to add and/or correct.  All are flagships unless noted.  Affiliates may carry alternative programming at times (Montreal Hockey/Soccer, UConn Football/Basketball)

660am WFAN  New York Yankees
 670am WSCR  Chicago Cubs
 680am KNBR  San Francisco Giants
 690am CKGM  Toronto Blue Jays   Affiliate in Montreal, Quebec in English
 700am WLW    Cincinnati Reds
 710am KIRO    Seattle Mariners
 710am WOR    New York Mets
 850am KOA     Colorado Rockies
 890am WLS     Chicago White Sox
1080am WTIC   Boston Red Sox   Affiliate in Hartford, CT
1100am WTAM  Cleveland Indians
1120am KMOX  Saint Louis Cardinals
1500am WFED  Washington Nationals
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 1639 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Bill F

• View Profile
Re: Baseball 50,000 watt clear channel stations
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 0334 UTC »
Looks like Philly gave up on baseball.  1210 WPHT used to carry it but no more.
So, if you are a Phillies fan you'll need to visit here to find a local station to listen on...
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/schedule/radio_network.jsp

Don't even think about it being on local over the air tv, comcast took care of that.

I guess I will be listening to them on 1440 am or 94.1 fm. 
Receiver: SDRPlay RSP-1
Antenna:  70 foot long wire

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 0850 UTC »

Don't even think about it being on local over the air tv

The days of walking into a barber shop mid-afternoon on a weekday and watching the ball game on over the air TV are a thing of the past.  Baseball games in the afternoon and on OTA TV are, as Ernie Harwell would say, "looong gone".
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 1122 UTC »
1270 AM WXYT Detroit Tigers

50000 watts day and night but directional patterns (favoring NE). 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 1431 UTC »
After checking out the nighttime broadcast patterns for each of those and testing the ones that maybe, possibly I can copy (no chance with WFAN in NYC, for example), it looks like 1120 in Saint Louis is the only one I can reliably copy. Those are the radio listening perils of living in a densely populated region that's isolated from other urban areas.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 1525 UTC »
Thanks for this list, Ct Yankee :D

I usually use XM Satellite Radio to listen to MLB games while in the car, and most of their audio seems to be relays of local AM stations that are carrying the game in question (for example, last night's game was a relay of WTMJ 620 kHz, a class B station doing 10,000 watts nighttime power) but its nice to have a "real" radio station to listen to in addition to the line of sight satellite signals.

Tried listening to the Cubs/Brewers game late last night [2200-0300 local time, east coast USA] on WSCR 670 kHz AM...this is on a Chevrolet car radio.  Unfortunately I heard nothing but a heterodyne. WFAN on 660 kHz was, of course, coming in loud and clear.  I generally don't have trouble receiving NYC clear channel AM stations (660, 770, 880, etc) but for whatever reason Chicago wasn't coming in.

WLW was basically nil as well, and its usually similar signal strength to WFAN, WCBS, etc. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m